HybridZ

Some potential, but is there enough?

Well the dude with the other z sold it so getting that one is out of the picture. I'm going to stick with this one. My dad told me he'll cover everything (he was also drunk though) so if that's the case, i should be good to go. I'll definitely be getting the floor pans from MSA. I'm going to put flairs on so hopefully that will get that rust out of the picture. The bondo on the car didnt have any primer on it prior to me getting the car. I just put it on there to make it look a little better.

To say the least, there is a lot of things to be done. I just don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

You really need to find out what your budget is for this. I'd say $1k is a good place to START. Even that's a little low, since I already assume you'll want fresh tires, brake pads/rotors, fluids, battery, spark plugs+wires, and registration/insurance. Make a big list of things you absolutely NEED to get it on the road. Budget the parts that are absolutely essential out. Keep your eyes open for screaming deals on craigslist or ebay while you're saving up your $1k (or whatever your goal ends up being).

If you can't come up with the budget ahead of time, you're probably much better off tearing this Z down and using it as an investment. Sell whatever you don't plan to keep for your next Z, and keep your eyes open for a decent shell that won't NEED as much work.

If you can, I'd suggest tearing it down to the bare chassis and taking it to a media blaster. Most shipyards have them, some body shops will have them, and nearly any metalworking industrial yard will have them. Check with construction companies and the like. If you can't find someone who'll take the whole chassis to bare metal for you at a reasonable price ($300 or so is a good place to be) borrow a compressor and buy a sand blaster. Wire wheels just don't cut it as well as a soda blaster does.

Of course, this is your project. If you wanted to go the really cool route, you'd just put a beefy roll cage in there, make sure the frame rails are solid, drop a v8 in it, and call it done as-is. Don't even paint it. Sure, it'll rust away and be breezy, but it'll be real fast while it's doing it!

hahahahah well i think im going to try to fix anything i can. right now im just trying to strip everything off the car down to the chassis like you said. The dash is being a major pain in the arse to get off though. the frame rails in the front are rusted only in the floor pan area. I'm going to get the MSA floor pan kit. My dads pretty good at welding so he'll be able to teach me.

But at the moment im just trying to strip it down, and then i'll hopefully find someone to blast it. Then after that i'll get a good assessment on everything and figure out where to start on the welds. I'm going to focus on just getting everything to stock before i do anything else.

I've got a 327 sitting in my garage. Its been there for about 30 years at least. Almost a brand new engine. Maybe it will find its way into this z... maybe....

but yes. tearing it down is annoying. too many bolts rusted in having to be drilled out. but thats just part of it i guess.

and the dash! are there some secret screws i dont know about? i've looked over ever inch of the thing and took out everything i've found but it still wont come off!

well anyways, just keep the comments coming. its awesome to have such good input. thanks everyone!