HybridZ

Crossflow vs downflow radiators

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking to replace the downflow radiator in my 87 Turbo Z31 with an aftermarket aluminum one...however after searching quite awhile I have found that no one seems to offer a downflow type in the dimensions that I need. However there are several crossflow type out there and at very reasonable prices. My question is, which is the more efficient type on a tilted radiator, and will the crossflow be good to use on my Z? I also plan to go with a slightly narrower but thicker radiator in order to allow intercooler plumbing to fit around the side of the radiator between it and the frame rail. Stock is a brass 27" x 19" about 2" thick 2 row. Would using a thicker 26" x 19" 3 or 4 row aluminum radiator be feasible to improve cooling. Anyone got any recommendations in regards to this?

Guest Anonymous

Surprisingly most of the racing radiators are only two core, but they transfer heat much better and use bigger tubes. 4 cores particularly in brass tend to heat air up coming through them enough for the last core or two to be less effecient. A 19x26 should suit you fine as long as you have a good fan as well.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I'm using a permacool 16" electric fan that flows 2950 cfm...anyways, I'll probably go with the 26" x 19" aluminum crossflow that griffin offers through Summit for 180 bucks. Think I should cut off and weld the filler neck hole shut or just cap it off? My 87 already has a filler neck on the upper tube coming out of the intake manifold...

Guest Anonymous

BTW, that will bring the grand total to my fan and radiator setup to just under 300 bucks...pretty cheap for a complete aftermarket setup...90 bucks for the fan at summit, 15 bucks for the adjustable thermostatic switch at autozone, and $180 for the radiator at summit. Combined with the 150 bucks for a used, but excellent condition 98 Supra mkIV intercooler and all it's stock plumbing, and I'd say I'm off to a great start...