HybridZ

need help with rebuilding fs5w71c trans

myjunkyard

I am rebuilding a fs5w71c transmission and I need to know what the spread springs (see pics) are for. These are MISSING on the transmission. I want to know if I run without these will it effect anything or are they just to ease installation. Any help would be appreciated.

fs5w71c_thumb.jpg

I'm not positive, but I believe those spread springs hold the three shifting inserts in place when they are installed on the 3rd/4th synchronizer hub. There are 2 inserts placed on the left side of the hub (if looking at the pic), and the third on the other side of that same hub. If you look at the pic, the are 3 gaps within the teeth of the hub. That's where they are placed. Underneath the spread spring "arrow", they show a shifting insert below it. That's what goes in those slots.

I hope this helps.......and in my opinion, if it's in the diagram, it should be installed, especially on the tranny.

After checking out the diagrams...it's only showing 1 spreader spring...but if you roll the mouse over the item number, it says two required. Call Courtesy and verify the location/quantity of the spring (# 32602). Make sure you've got the diagram in front of you, haha. They've got a friendly staff, and a lot of parts are available through them with quick shipping.

Depending on your application, the price ranges from $1.09-3.61.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/300zx-parts-z31-1984-1989/genuine-nissan-parts/power-train/322-transmission-gear/-c-2317_2318_2391_2406.html