HybridZ

Electroluminescent sheeting

RPMS

Heh, my underhood light is BRIGHT, I don't need it upgraded. The lights inside migh tneed work but I think I'll simply add a couple to the footwells and call it done. Did that in my Mustang (FWIW - convertible Mustangs had lights in footwells and the sockets are there on all of them) and it really helped alot!

Guest Anonymous

Was thinking of this posting today

I don't know if it wold work but mabey worth a try you could use the reflective vinyl insted of the ilumminating stuff alot cheaper

Also; some tint for windows block uv rays mabey somebody carries clear tint that will block the uv for the gauges so the ilumminating stuff will last longer

The small neon tubes may look neat for some people (myself no way ray) but you may also want to look into fiber optic cable that emits the light out the side. the bonus is you can change colors as easy as changing a filter or bulb

going to get your girl pick pink, meeting the boys change it (back I hope)to blue

Guest Anonymous

Another conservative use of the cable would be to use it in place of the stock bulbs and trace it just outside the visible area of the gauge face. That would give a nice even glow and would be bright enough to keep the stock black gauges.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Disco dis way, disco dis way....

why not have blinking red neon arrows for turn signals? That'd solve that pesky LED problem once and for all!

WW

Actually I AM using LEDs for turn signal indicators inside the car - looks just fine. I'll probably be looking into blue LEDs to light some of my Autometer gauges too as painting the stock clear bulbs doesn't give an even effect and leaves slight streaks.

Nothing wrong with the neon cable or EL sheeting of used tastfully. I think EL gauges would be VERY nice and certainly different. If someone wants to try and convert the stock gauges then by all means I support that and hope they report back with good pics and a detailed write up. If Autometer hadn't backed out of doing them I'd be running a set on my car right now (shrug).

Fairlady 327 says:

"you guyz cant be serious...."

And I retort:

Hey, why not? Plenty of stuff that the ricers do isn't inherently bad, it's just that they, like most children, don't know when to quit. Ever hear a five year old tell a joke? it's funny over, and over, and over again, no matter how mundane or oft repeated. Think of ricers from that perspective.

As far as in-cabin lighting is concerned, I can't have enough. My cars usually aren't sanitary inside, and sometimes it's tough to find what I'm looking for in the dark. Am I going to sacrifice practicality for originality? No way. Putting one tiny little light in the back of the headliner was shortsighted on Nissan's part, and I intend to rectify that situation ASAP. When I flick the interior light switch, I want to think that the sun has risen! I also want my instruments to be instantly legible at night w/o squinting and staring at them. The stock odometer light is especially poor. Why bother lighting your instruments if they're not going to be readable? Backlit pointers and numbers make SO much more sense than the weak, side-lit abominations that Datsun originally installed.

On the other hand, lighting up something just for the sake of lighting it up is unforgiveably ricey. Blacklight neon tubes, "dancing light show" stereos, and strips of light illuminating every contour of your dash to impress your homeys doesn't do anything but distract the driver. And in a Hybrid Z things happen so fast, especially at night, that distraction could be deadly.

Just my opinions. I think you were probably talking about "discotheque" lighting techniques discussed previously in the thread, I just wanted to vent my spleen a bit. :-)

Guest Anonymous

I must say that I personally don't want to outline my dash or anything like that. Heck, I don't want the stuff showing BUT I do think that the cable is excellent for placing easily hidden light sources where they are needed: in floor boards, around hatch lip (on when lid opened), glove box, etc. Granted, I would make sure to hide it and probably would just use a fairly conservative color. No rice here but I agree that much of what they do, checked by taste, can benefit any crowd.

Craig