HybridZ

Given an '81 zx... too rusty? Impressions? (pics)

jackbyo

Yo

my brother left the country a couple years ago, and his datsun has been more or less just sitting.

My dad had to jump start it, but was then able to get it into a garage spot we have down the block.

Tried starting it today, it clicked and then buzzed a lot but didnt start.

I've got a spare battery I can try on it

So what do you reckon? Theres spots were i was able to poke my finger through the rust, but not many.

I've never done any kind of car restoration thing before, but I figure with the money it wouldve cost me to buy a car like this, I could get the body professionally de-rusted and primed ready for painting.

Engine-wise, I'd just like to have it running for a while. I'm on a provisional license, and here in australia, until you have your full license, it's illegal to drive turbo/v8/performance engines. So I thought till then I could rebuild the current engine and in a couple years when it's legal, do a turbo swap or something.

Impressions?

thanks

dat01_thumb.jpg

dat1_thumb.jpg

dat2_thumb.jpg

dat3_thumb.jpg

dat4_thumb.jpg

You can't drive any sort of performance car or V-8 car until a certain age? Wow, I'd never heard of that before.

I've been driving V8s since I was 14... but they've all been excessively slow land yachts. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of family sedans that could have easily dusted my 360 powered Chrysler wagon. :oops:

To the car at hand- it looks pretty saveable, I'd go after it. It'd be a good learning experience and probably a lot of fun and frustration, but as long as you stick to one project at a time, you'll be alright.

It sure beats the living daylights out of my free 280ZX... haha

Picture944.jpg

You can't drive any sort of performance car or V-8 car until a certain age? Wow, I'd never heard of that before.

I've been driving V8s since I was 14... but they've all been excessively slow land yachts. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of family sedans that could have easily dusted my 360 powered Chrysler wagon. :oops:

To the car at hand- it looks pretty saveable, I'd go after it. It'd be a good learning experience and probably a lot of fun and frustration, but as long as you stick to one project at a time, you'll be alright.

It sure beats the living daylights out of my free 280ZX... haha

Picture944.jpg

Wow lots of love needs to go into that girl;)

One of those rare, rear engine models, I see. :)