HybridZ

Mustache Bar Bushing Inner Sleeve; Cylinder over tapered bolt?

I believe I am missing hardened steel inner sleeves for my mustache bar from my master bushing kit manufactured by Energy Suspension. I will call and get them to send them to me. I am anticipating a cylindrical sleeve.

Does the sleeve go up the bolt until it bottoms out (at beginning of taper)?

Is the only purpose of the sleeve to center the urethane bushing? Or does it determine the amount the urethane should crush?

How tight is the sleeve ID to the non-tapered part of the bolt? This tolerance will determine where the sleeve stops going up in relation to the bushing halves. At this position, there should be an optimal distance between bottom of the sleeve and the bottom of the lower bushing shell. I figure the sleeve should not protrude, but instead should be recessed by the distance you want the bushing to crush. The sleeve length may need to be shortened. Is this what others have done?

Thanks

I installed a Prothane kit and it came with the inner bushing sleeves. I merely tightened things until they were on good and snug with very little crushing of the poly. The sleeves rode right up to the base of the tapered stud. There's a top and bottom to the poly portions of the bushings (different inner diameters due to the taper obviously.)

Are you certain of your last statement about there being a top and bottom portion of the bushing? All 4 inner diameters are the same on my bushings.

If the IDs were tapered, the inner sleeve would have to be tapered and that does not make sense. Unless the sleeve is shorter than the assembled bushing height by the height of the taper.

Well again, mine was Prothane brand and not Energy, so I can't speak for that. Sorry, my mistake I can say for sure that the WASHERS were different diameters on the inner portions. Not the poly.

But I don't recall there being any difference in the sleeves within them, like a taper or anything. They were straight right through.

I'd have to pull mine apart to see so maybe someone else can chime in on here that remembers.

The mustache bar bushing kit from Energy Suspension has the same WASHERS for the top and the bottom. The kit that is sold by MSA (Prothane?) has bigger diameter washer for the top. I used both kits before and I can tell you that the inner metal sleeves are the same for both of them. The inner metal sleeves are straight tubes, not taper, for both kits.

Well again, mine was Prothane brand and not Energy, so I can't speak for that. Sorry, my mistake I can say for sure that the WASHERS were different diameters on the inner portions. Not the poly.

But I don't recall there being any difference in the sleeves within them, like a taper or anything. They were straight right through.

I'd have to pull mine apart to see so maybe someone else can chime in on here that remembers.