HybridZ

anyone use a late trans with earlier block

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have an 85 t5 and a 60 or 70's block and the starter hole just dont line up. if you had this type of setup what starter did you use

I have a 1972 Camaro motor with a T5 bellhousing and a 153 tooth flywheel. The starter I pulled from a mid 80's Camaro. It fits fine and is listed in the JTR manual. When I went to the wrecking yard I just looked for one of the starters JTR listed as being a proper one. Bingo. I'll have to look at my motor to figure out why yours does not fit. I find that puzzling.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

yah please look, the issue seems to be that the offset of the bolt holes through the starter dont line up with the bolt hole son the block. i dont mean that in how they are aranged if i were to tak teh position of the bolt holes on block and trace them and also trace the bolt holes on starter they match perfectly. its as the starter slides into place the nose peice makes the block bolt holes out of allignment with the starter holes. i hope that was understandable. unfortunately i have tried four different style starters from kragen and all had same problem.(offset). i will try again the 80's starter since that seems to be the lucky one for most of you.

zach

Zach, I'm troubled about why the starter won't fit on your block. The engine block has provision for two bolt patterns: the inline bolts and the offset bolts. If that is a GM starter you are using, there is NO reason why it would not bolt up. You still have to use a starter that will be usable with the size of flywheel you are using, please keep that in mind. For a 153 tooth flywheel, you can use a starter from a 1993-1996 V8 Camaro and the 1994-1996 LT1 Caprice. A 1982-1992 Camaro Starter will also work if it is heavy duty or medium duty. I think the older Camaro ones will be cheaper, but either will work. FYI: the bolt holes are inline, not offset for all the starters I have listed. Make sure you check when you are there!!!

Davy