HybridZ

Under dash wiring woes... Lights/turn signals

CamH

Hey guys,

I've got a 1973 240Z and I am having issues with numerous things:

The fuse above the fuse for the headlights burn out immediately.

Headlights don't work. The fuse for them burns out as soon as I turn them on.

Turn signals don't work. Doesn't seem to burn out any fuses though. Could be one of the other two fuses, I guess.

Four way flashers DO work.

Brake lights DO work.

Interior light in front of hatch DOES work.

At one point, over a year ago, I had everything working but I have had the entire car torn apart since then. Dash pulled, engine replaced.

From the looks of it, I have all of the connectors underneath the dash connected properly, but WOW, they are a mess. I hate how complex wiring systems are. Does anyone know off hand which connectors that these involve, and if so, do you have a picture of them? I'd like to get everything working properly so I can drive at night.

Thanks guys!

Well, it looks like all the grounds are good but I will double check them after work this evening. It seems like things would just not work if the grounds are bad - I don't think it would blow fuses, or would it?

Also, if I posted this in the wrong section I apologize and would appreciate it if someone moved it. :)

Okay, looks like I had a few things wired wrong. Headlights and running lights on the tails work now. Three out of four marker lights work, and one of the running lights for the front turn signals work.

Turn signals still don't work at all - I think I still have some wires mixed up...

I have begun blowing the fuse marked IGN which also happens to run some of the gauges and four way flashers, I believe.

Anyways, I don't know where the wires coming off of the fuse block go exactly, and I need a hand figuring it out. I've already tried disconnecting my gauges (oil pressure, water temp, fuel) and emergency flashers. I think this fuse also runs the voltage regulator, but I have that jumpered off because I am using a ZX alternator (could this be causing the issue? tried with voltage regulator and that doesn't work either!)

Anyways, the wires coming off of the fuse block are solid green and black with a white stripe.

Here are some pictures of the black with white wire that I'm dealing with. I only took pictures of it because the green wire is nearly impossible to trace due to the amount of green wires in these cars and also because the black with white wire seems to be severely melted due to the fuse failing improperly and continuing to operate after it should not have:

img0136d.jpg

Large part of wiring harness underneath far passenger side of dash.

img0138jgj.jpg

Top of that part of the harness.

img0139p.jpg

Melted up fuse block.

img0140rqg.jpg

Wire coming directly from fuse block. It's hard to tell in the picture but it is badly melted, and there is slack all around the inner wire.

img0141g.jpg

Same melted wire coming out of the same connector set.

img0143q.jpg

Picture of underneath side of melted fuse block and both wires circled.

I appreciate any help that you guys may offer. Thanks in advance!