HybridZ

Halfshaft rebuild problems

matt_w

I am currently rebuilding the halfshafts for my 240z (new ujoints, replacing the boots, re-greasing the innards). I can't seem to figure out how to get the little ball bearings and spacers back in properly so that the axle extends and contracts to its proper ranges. Has anyone done this that would be willing to share some tips?

When I've done mine, I put a lot of grease to hold balls in the grooves.

The trick for me was to use the flat washer to push on the 4 rows of balls at the same time when pressing the shaft back into the housing.

With gentle up and down motion, I've been able to slide everything back in.

Hope that helps ;) Oooh and you'll need some patience too!!!

That's kind of what I was trying, but it kept ending up where the washer would be just slightly too high so that the snap ring wouldn't fit back in. Do you have the cross-shaped washer and other snap ring installed on the end of the shaft before sliding it in?

You just need to try harder/longer.

There's no other tip so far, you'll need patience, try to push quickly to slide everything in.

As soon as the washer in under the groove, you just have to snap the o-ring back in.

Just got mine together...there is a trick! I put 2 balls and 2 spacers on each rail in the housing at the top (after installing the washer and snapring in the housing, then slid in the shaft all the way through. When it came out the other side, I put an additional ball and spacer on each rail and added the cross-shaped washer and snap ring, then pulled it back out. Worked first try, and it extends and contracts fully!