HybridZ

A/C BLOWER OPTION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

O.K. guys, a blower from a 240sx will work MUCH better than the stock 280 fan and is not difficult at all to fit. You do have to be willing to lose the fresh air mode of the system but IMO this is a small price to pay for the increased airflow you gain.All you have to do is remove the blower housing and remove the fresh air solenoid and bracket from the rear side of the housing. Lay the blower from the 240(I used a '90 model but I am sure others will fit) on top of hole where the fresh air bracket mounted, trace around the cage and enlarge the hole. The 240sx cage is considerably larger in diameter than stock but is the same depth so no shimming ,etc. is required. Just make sure you have the fan centered well enough in the housing before redrilling the housing and securing the fan w/sheet metal screws after enlarging the hole. Also, the fan seems to work fine with the stock resistors so no modding is required. I had to lengthen the wires and reverse the polarity of the plug to get the motor to turn in the right direction.BTW, the fan won,t work very well mounted from the front like the stock unit because the pitch of the blades is reversed.

Installed in this fashion I feel the fan helps recirculate the air better since air is pulled directly from the cars cabin instead of indirectly from the firewall.You do lose 2 of the mounting points for the blower housing but mine seemed to hold fine w/ the one cental mounting bolt installed. Anyway, just an option.