HybridZ

scarab to jtr??

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

how hard would it be to change how the engine was installed? the engine was orginally installed with the scarab method, but i want to have it done the jtr way. i am pulling the engine to paint the car, so would it be complicated or just mounting the new parts and putting it in? BTW: the shop is doing ALL the work on this car, so no one needs to worry about safety issues or something getting done wrong. thanks.

dan

Dan,

Long's site has great info--even for the shop that's doing this for you. You already bought the car and the JTR mounts? Man, that was quick!

Long, I'm pretty sure he does not need a new crossmember! Why would he? Are you thinking of new motormounts and JTR setback plates? Just wondering.

Davy

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

I am picking up the car in a couple weeks and just want to have everything set so i can get it painted and get the engine back in so i can start on upgrading everything else. I order the mounting brackets directly from JTR, right? I already have the manual on putting the engine in. What info should i give the shop doing the work? do i give them the manual and say "do it this way!!" or what? thanks.

dan

Guest Anonymous

I did that to mine too..get the whole kit, not just the motor mounts for sure. Put an electric fan on it and lose that propeller on the front of your engine and you're in like Zen.

Oh..be sure to get the wire stretcher with the kit so you can use the same wiring harness...

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

Aside from installing the JTR kit, they have to shorten the exhaust pipe (but you can keep the blockhuggers, and they'll modify the driveshaft by possibly shortening it. If you want to use the hood latch assembly, you'll need to chase the parts from the 280ZX like JTR says (that'll save some shop time). It's stuff like that you can do that will save money in the long run because shops charge by the hour and generally will markup the price of parts they sell you.

If this is a really clean setup, even though it's a Scarab kit, you may want to drive it for a while and see if you like it that way. All things being equal, though, the JTR version is better. Just consider how much the shop labor will be after they do their work, the JTR kit, the new paint, etc. Good luck.

Davy

Guest dankinzle

oops, I meant transmission crossmember. But yeah it's not too bad. About the cooling though. I'm running a pretty rad engine and I don't have too much trouble at all with cooling, and all I have is a stock radiator. I'm using two fans that have a diameter about the height of the stock rad and a 160 thermostat. And this is in texas right now too. I may upgrade later so I can put the a/c back in or get a higher thermo...

I suppose you could just give them the manual and then they could go from there--but hopefully they will not be confused: they are not starting from point A! All they are doing for you is installing the motor mounts and setback plates, maybe remounting the radiator(why?), having the driveshaft resized, but not much more than that. I'm trying to think of things you could do yourself to save money (they charge by the $$$ hour). Buying the kit from JTR is easy to do and everything should fit fine. You might not need another radiator if the car has a decent one. You might need rams-horn manifolds or block-hugger headers if it does not have them already. Hrm, think about what you might be comfortable with doing your self and ask more questions. Hopefully, we can save you some money. Make sure you get an estimate from them.

It would really help have a picture of the car and the engine compartment with information on the tranny and such. The car may not need a whole lot of work. Does this car run? If so, you might want to drive it a bit and get used to it before modding it. Just a thought.

Davy

Stock Datsun fan? You know, Leonard (Fairlady327) is also using a stock Datsun radiator and it never overheats....of course he is in SF where its cool most of the time. Why you car does not overheat in the Texas summer heat is strange to me. Good for you, though!

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I've still got the stock radiator in mine too, just havn't put the Howe in yet, but mine will go just about 210 here in the summer (so far, but I've driven it in the 105 deg heat), but I'm using a 185 thermostat too. I know with the AC on it would definitely boil over, I don't have it fully installed yet, but if its 210 now, adding more hot air in front of the radiator isn't going to help thats for sure. In cooler climates, a guy could probably get away with the stock radiator to be honest provided he has a good fan. You can definitey see the temp go up and down after a run through the gears at least in my car.

Regards,

Lone

yes, i still have the stock datsun rad

and the engine propelled fan as well, and it runs pretty cool, about 162 on a 160 fan, but once i get into stop and go, it will rise up to about 180-200 if its bumper to bumper, hottest ive been is driving 100 degree temp( which is a fluke here in sf) is 220, and i was so hot my wrists were dripping sweat. for additional cooling i am going to install a small fan in front of the radiator, just to cool it off in the stop and go and at the track afer runs, the engine fan is very reliable to me, but a little fan can go a long long way.

Leonard

Technology? whats that?