HybridZ

Aluminum radiator question

Owen

Got my Griffin rad, 19 x 24. It's too tall with the JTR lower bracket, the rad cap hits the underside of the hood.

I put some spacers in between the bracket and the frame to hang it lower but it's still hits a little. Should I be using a different lower bracket?

Also, I used some old door weather stripping and put that over the bottom vertical fins in between the rad and the bracket.

Thanks!

Owen

NO! That bracket will work - is what's on my car. Head over to the plumbing aisle and grab some short PVC pieces. I think I used something liek 1/2inch but it might have been smaller. Also grab some longer mounting bolts for the JTR bracker - I used stainless carriage bolts. Drop the bolts through the frame, through the PVC "spacers", and through the JTR bracket. Consider placing stainless fender washers above the PVC so it'll spread the loading.

This will drop the radiator about an inch or whatever amount you chose to use with the PVC. works fine on my car. Oh, I also used nuts with the nylon inside them to keep them tight. Be careful wrenching down as you can collapse the frame section if you're not careful (ahem).

Up top I used S10 urethane radiator mounts - cheap cheap - and some aluminum strap that I also used to hang the cut down Cobra cooling fan. Down below the S10 stuff didn't seem to work as well so I too grabbed some old door weatherstripping and caulked it into place icon_biggrin.gif

If you want to see pics check out my site. I'm not sure I've got pics of the silly looking PVC part but the fan and upper mount is certainly there. I can take other pics if needed.

Hope that helps - you're on the right track! icon_cool.gif

Guest Anonymous

In classic Lone style, I had a big bag of flat washers... I used the JTR mount as well and just put about 3/4 - 1" (yeah, pipe or something would have been smarter in retrospect, hey go with what ya got is my motto) of washers to space it from the frame rail. If the mount is out of the car and you havn't thought about Fan mounting yet, welding a couple bolts to act as studs off that bottom mount works really bang on.

For anyone that is going to fabricate that lower JTR radiator mount and use a Griffin or Howe, let us know here, we can tell you what your dimension will be to make the mount right the first time.

Mine also doesn't use the Chevy radiator mounts, but simply some rubber glued on top of the 2" wide steel. The bottom radiator channel stradles it and it works well. This might seem like not enough vibration mounting, but if you'd seen Howe's mounting brackets (solid!) on they're website then it seems adequate to me.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks! I used a bunch of washer too cuz that's what I had icon_smile.gif I just need to get some longer bolts though.

BLKMGK, I'll check out your site, hopefully the part numbers for that upper mount are there but if they aren't can you email them to me?

One other thing for anyone contemplating doing this, I'm using the BlackMagic fan and I had to put washers in between the wall and the mounts there too. It's basically sized for the single row Camaro radiator.

Owen

Pix may not be close up, I'll link one here. This design is Pete's so i get no credit. The part for the upper mount rubber was straight out of the JTR manual.

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Oh, and I can see why you couldn't find them icon_rolleyes.gif Here's the page, I'm sorry it's so well hidden. I'm in need of a WEB site overhaul it seems.

http://www.blkmgk.com/development/testweb.nsf/4691e0edd8a01bd6852569ae0075e9c4/bfde2094dd10c02085256a6a00050714?OpenDocument