Electric Z - The Book?

jmead

Electric Z - The Book?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Electric Z - The Book?

• I'd buy it
    • No thanks

So I just got this message posted to my 240z conversion blog:

"Bro ~ I'm sure I speak for many z owners...you should write a book. A detailed how-to-instructable, have you. You detailed quite a bit in this blog, but a step by step guide would be great! I know I would purchase it. I own two 240z's. A '71 with a 400 Small Block V8 and a '73 stock. Like the first respondant, I think it the responsible thing to do. I also have a '65 Lincoln Continental that will eventually receive the same treatment should the z come out well. Thanks again for your great work to society."

And its got me thinking. Is there really very much interest in this sort of thing?

I am in a unique position because I have completed an electric Z start to finish, yet still have a stock 280z slated to receive the same treatment. Plus, I'm hoping to do a direct drive / lithium conversion, which contrasts very nicely to the stock tranny / lead acid conversion previously.....representing the whole continuum from low to high tech.

Last question; I'm willing (and have) given all the info I have away for free. I don't care to make any money. Is a step-by-step (and tangible, physical) guide worth much more than the same steps scattered across several pages on the web? Worth the effort to produce, edit, and have printed? People buy the JTR manual (I did).....so perhaps?

Just want a feel for the level of interest here.

out-and-in-240z.jpg

My Opinion, is write as such to apply to ANY car. Good luck.

The principals and components are universal, if it'd work for a Z then so it would for anything from a family sedan to a rat rod. But that book has already been written....there are lots of them in fact. (Convert It! is supposed to be good)

I was thinking more like the JTR manual; Z specific with a step-by-step of a conversion start to finish. Perhaps split into commuter and race setups with parts lists and estimated performance figures and prices for each.

Hate to post it, but here is a decent link for current info:

http://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/index.html

http://www.e-volks.com/gpage1.html

Electric cars are for girls huh? That is exactly the sort of concept I'm spending my $$ to bury. Most people seem to think they're slow, whimpy, girly things suitable for nothing but getting to work and back cheaply. I cringe everytime I see another one of those zap things, or a G-Whiz (european thing). It doesn't need to be that way....

At least we have the Tesla roadster out there as a legitimate sportscar burning rubber and changing minds.

and John's Datsun 1200 (White Zombie)

7484-1972-Datsun-1200.jpg

theres also going to be the wayland invitational electric drags out at PIR, July 24-25.

some of the cars showing are the KillaCycle, White Zombie, the Crazy Horse Pinto, Several Teslas, Tango, '32 Ford, Green Tea Model T, LiIon Insight.

and John's Datsun 1200 (White Zombie)

theres also going to be the wayland invitational electric drags out at PIR, July 24-25.

some of the cars showing are the KillaCycle, White Zombie, the Crazy Horse Pinto, Several Teslas, Tango, '32 Ford, Green Tea Model T, LiIon Insight.

Of course, I wouldn't want to imply that the Tesla is the first electric car with guts....John was pushing the limits of EV tech back when I was still playing on the playground. He may very well be responsible for my obsession (too long ago to tell)......but anyways his website http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/ is probably my favorite of all. Definitely worth a look....more impressive than anything I've got to show anyone.

Man I'd love to check that out in person. Too bad Oregon couldn't be further away from me unless it were in another country. Still, I'm checking out plane tickets..... Would be awesome

Edit - Added poll

His brother is in our Z club so Iv had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he comes and gives presentations at club meetings every now and then which is always cool. Im going to school for EE/ME so getting to talk to him about the 1200 is always cool.