HybridZ

what do I need to change to AC?

GrayZee

Ok I was at the wrecking yard today and they have a 75z with factory air, Well it would be awesome to stick that in my 76z! My question is this.. What exactly do I need from this car to make this swap? I understand AC systems quite well and I'm not really concerned too much with the components under the hood but under the dash concerns me.. Is the entire heating venting system different? Different blower, heater core perhaps? Tell me what I need to be taking from this car other than the evaporator. Also do Z's use a valve or capillary tubes to control the freon? Like I said I'm not really concerned about the under hood stuff as I already have a couple 280zx compressors, condensers, ect laying around and I can always wire up relays and stuff aferwards. I am planning on going back tomorrow so a swift reply would be appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

It's all pretty much one unit - controls, fanbox, evap, heatercore, etc.

You have to take the dash out (obviously), disconnect the lines (heater and A/C) and there are 2 studs that go thru the firewall - the nuts will have to be removed from the engine side. I would just grab everything.

Well I went back to the wrecking yard to get my AC and I ran out of time before I could get everything but I did manage to get the box that houses the evaporator, blower, and the accumulator. I didn't get the housing that contains the heater section though. I'm thinking that the AC section will just fit in front of the heater (my car seems to have a empty housing sitting between the heater and the dash vents) I also noticed that the models with AC use vacuum to control the vents and switches. I like a more simplistic setup. So I hope that the evaporator housing fits in front of the heater assembly no problem and I'll just wire up the electrical to run the compressor myself (turn it to vent and there'll be cold air coming though right? (I hope) I did take the blower though because I noticed it has 4speeds instead of 3

Can anyone tell me if this housing swap will work, or do I need to go back?

I have no idea. Does seem silly that they wouldn't modularize things though.

As to the blower, I can tell you that those 4 speeds are "Slow", "Barely on", "Just enough to not restrict ordinary airflow", and "Making a little bit of noise". IOWs, the blower is terrible.