HybridZ

Fuel Gauge?!?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What's the ohms for the Datsun fuel sending unit? I'm thinking of redoing gauges, and need to know, so I can pick a Autometer gauge with the right ohm sweep...What's everyone using? Also, I'm going to do all my upgrades to the interior, electrical, yada yada yada systems while the car is still a 6, there any way to convert a mechanical Phantom Speedo to the datsun tranny? or is there a electric one out?

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Racnoth ]

From my page:

the Datsun fuel sender has from Empty to Full (I measured mine to be 88 ohms Empty, and 8 ohms Full). However, the one for the older FORD fuel senders is close to this range (73 ohms Empty and 8-12 ohms Full).

You can see how I did this at: http://members.home.net/pparaska/gagecalibration.htm

Have fun!

Mike

R1 goes between the gage sender input terminal and ground. It can't be connected to the tank sender output. It has to be AFTER the R2 connected to the tank sender output.

R2 goes in the wire between the gage sender input and the sender output that's not grounded. Put it anywhere in that connection - I chose to do it at the gage. Then I ran R1 from the gage sender input to ground. That way both resistors are connected at the gage input. The other side of R1 gets grounded, and the other side or R2 connects to the wire from the tank sender.

The calcs, from the spreadsheet on my page, came out to (roughly):

R1=382 ohms

R2=2 ohms

The best bet is to use the spreadsheet and use the answers to get a starting point and then put different values in the circuit in the car to see if an empty (or nearly empty) tank really does read empty, and a full tank reads full.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]