HybridZ

External wastegate placement

trwebb26

Things are very cramped on the exhaust side of my turbo install. I'm having trouble finding room for my external wastegate.

I want to put about 10" of schedule 40 1.5" pipe between my stock manifold and my tial external wastegate.... It is 3 of the 90 degree elbows and just a bit of straight length. Anybody have any experience that can tell me if having the wastegate that far from the manifold will make a noticable difference in response/performance?

Link to my build thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=149542

Here are some pics of what i'm talking about... I'm running a 4" outlet from the holset. The radius is currently too big - I'll be sectioning it to make the radius smaller - Either way - there is hardly any room for the wastegate to go with this turbo configuration:

0122.JPG

Here is the setup:

0045.JPG

This is where I want it to go. Lots of advantages. Easy for boost reference line, paralell outlets for turbo and wastegate, easy plumbing for the wastegate dump into the exhaust line:

0054.JPG

And this is what I want to do for a routing - they are 1.5" schedule 40 90-degree bends:

0063.JPG

Thoughts on boost creep, overboost spikes, etc are encouraged. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

I checked the turbo bible (Maximum Boost) and it didn't say anything about the proximity of the wastegate to the input source. I'm ready to take opinions on this routing rather than experience... Seems like one exhaust pulse would fill up the amount of volume I'm adding to the wastegate. I have a hard time believing that this tad bit of extra length would be noticable at all. Anybody?