HybridZ

Oil Flow Direction

zxtman

I am about to splice in a remote oil thermostat into my oil cooler lines and I need to confirm direction of the oil flow. I am using the L28ET oil filter bracket.

Does oil from the engine flow out of the center of the oil filter bracket (marked #1 in the attachment) on its way to the cooler and then returned back into the motor through the offset connection (#2)?

Thanks.

L28ET oil filter bracket.pdf

Oil from the pump supplies the filter from the hole in front of the center hole.

You can see the bump in the block from the galley that goes from front cover that goes straight toward the hole.........if you have the adapter off.

This is why the bypass valve sits in the outer periphery.

I was able to get my hands on another L28ET oil filter bracket and was able to trace the flow of oil.

1. Oil from the block flows through the outer portion of the adapter and into the filter through the holes on the perimeter of the filter.

2. Oil then passes through the filter media and flows through the threaded hollow center mounting stud, and then out of the offset port of the oil filter bracket on its way to the cooler.

3. Oil then flows from the cooler back into the engine through the center port of the oil filter bracket.

What is confusing is the diagram in the FSM shows the offset port on the opposite side of how it actually is. (see attached picture)

Anyway, I now know which is the "hot" line from the engine to the cooler which is what I needed to know to install a remote oil thermostat.

L28ET Oil Filter Bracket_thumb.JPG