HybridZ

Datsun is broked-ish. U-joints suck.

janaka

Well last wednesday was the last time I drove the Z due to a newly acquired issue lol.

At a car meet I had mentioned a 'slight' vibration at speeds. Well originally my 'vibrations' were only at 70-74mph on the highway, below or above those speeds nothing at all. Good times. So on the highway I'd do around 80 and all was well.

Well last wednesday driving through town (up fisherhallman then across to the meet) I noticed that doing 40-45mph I was getting a little vibration. Odd I thought but the roads aren't great so I didn't think too much of it. Was at the meet, talked and such and left around 8pm. I went down university and decided to just hit the hwy and blast to fisherhallman and go home. Well I was behind a SLOW ass car on the on ramp in 2nd gear do ♥♥♥♥ all for speed so when we hit straight away I accelerated slightly above normal to get to actual highway speeds :rolleyes:. 2nd gear ends shift to 3rd gear start into the peddle and a second later OMG:eek: the steering wheel was shaking, the ENTIRE CAR was vibrating and I thought the car was going to explode. 55mph is all I was doing. So I throw it in 4th, no better, 5th, no better, clutch IN, no better. Poop. Leave it in 5th and am slowing down and at 50mph its 'ok'. So here I am 'blasting' along at 50mph in 5th gear (car almost idling, lol) any more and it feels like the rear wheels are bouncing on and off the ground thats how bad the vibrations were. I was panicing in my head to say the least. I made it home and parked the car.

A few days later I decided to see if I could see what was wrong. Checked lugnuts, all tight. Good. So I jacked the car up at the back and looked at my rear end (i like it like that :wink: ). Rear is there, mounts look ok etc. passanger side half shaft/ujoint looks normal. Driverside. Not so much. The u-joint kinda looks like it was beaten all the hell, gunked up, half shaft not so great. I now know what my problem is. this is the same side that i blew out last summer so now its time to get my 300zx TT CV joints installed.

Oh well. ♥♥♥♥ happens I guess. I know I haven't been driving 'easy' on it so I can't really complain.

Anyone know what I can use to trim the tips off these CV's so they won't bind? So far my wonderful friends have suggested a chainsaw and sawzall..lol.. lotta good they are eh?

Just thought I'd share my experience

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually experiencing the same exact problem. You might want to check your front grease spindles. Sometimes they aren't torqued correctly and this will cause the vibrations. At least this is what I believe my case to be, tinkering around in the next few days will tell.

Gl with your Z.