HybridZ

No Keys!!! Damn original owner.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I bought my Z about a year ago, just getting started on rounding up parts to fix it up. I went to a Nissan Dealership the other day to order a set of keys and locks for both doors, the rear hatch, and the ignition switch (seeing as how someone kindly lost all the keys, ripped the ignition out and set up a two position toggle switch in its place). The cost alone for the ignition put me on my ass. The service writer did give me a good idea though, and it will improve the looks of the car also, with the exception of cost. I now plan to shave the door handles, locks, and hatch lock. The cost of all the components, and the shipping, not to mention the 4 month wait on parts makes this plan all worth it. Install solenoid door switches with the remote entry keychain so there is no button for the thieves to find with ease. As for the hatch, I'll use another solenoid switch set, seeing as how they are generally sold in sets of two. I'll be putting two switches on the hatch to pop it open with no effort. Now, the real fun, the ignition. I kind of like the setup in it now, with the exception that someone could jump in and steal it at anytime. This is where I need the help. I want to install an ignition key switch, but I want to keep the toggle setup. The way I want to do this is as follows: When the key is turned the toggle has power, instead of cranking the engine at the key, crank at the switch. However, when the key is off, the toggle has no power and the engine kills. A few other plans include a smoke switch, to throw out a ton of smoke to ditch authorities, but that project is going to wait until the GT-40 engine is done (see Ford V8 Tech, Ultimate Ford Z). Any help for the ingition setup will be appreciated.

Hey,

The ignition sounds very easy. You need to connect your toggle switch ( I would never use a toggle switch for this application. Use a momentarily switch ) thru a relay and this relay will be energized by your ignition key ( in the run position only). Get yourself a 4 prongs relay.

Pin 85 and 86 are for your selenoid

Pin 30 is common

Pin 87 is Normally open.

Connect 1 side of your switch to ground and the other to pin 85

Connect pin 86 to the power coming out of your ignition in the run position.

Connect pin 87 to your starter wire (Note: after the ignition key, not before).

Now if your remote controll has another ground output you can use that to start the car instead of using the manual switch.. Sound good? hihi.. Good luck

Let me know if you need other help..

Oh about the smoke thingy.. I thought about that along time ago too.. but I rather spit out oil though LOL.. J/K

Vinh http://vvu.tripod.com

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I have similar prob. with key situation.Just for FYI my local Nissan dealer(Peoples Nissan)sells these cool lock and key sets that look like the ones used on soda machines.As far as the switch autozone has one for 29 bucks and im going to use a hidden power cut off switch for theft prevention.My .02 cents.

Taillights, that sounds like a neat setup and a good alternative to the key and doorlock problem! I need to get doorlocks for our Z too. Only one side works. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Zoncer? I tried calling my local Nissan dealers about the doorlocks you mentioned, but they don't carry them down here. You ever price them? They sound pretty neat. Please let me know. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Guest mospeed1

you should get a push button starting system.it's called ignited. works like a toggle but looks alot better .it's like the start push button on the new s2000's

Hahahaha I need to stop by at Kragen. icon_razz.gif

Good Ole JC Whitney. Thanks for the info Aaron. I think they have a few things for the Z. Will check that out right now. icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 years later...
Guest mkokimoto

Question:

I seemed to have lost the keys to the hatch of my vehicle. Actually, the only key I have is to a datsun sentra. and that opens the door to my z car.

The rest, I just turn with a housekey.

But I was wondering... Can i open the hatch from the inside of the vehicle? My car has a really early production date, and has the vents on the back... maybe I can remove the vents and stick a coathanger in there?

And then after I remove it... what are my choices?

I want to open the trunk so i can cover the rust holes with duct tape. The duct tape on my hatch peeled off after the rain, so i think it's a good time to replace all the duct tape holding the car together. Hopefully the new duct tape will make this car feel like new again.

thanks for any help.