HybridZ

Ford/Chevy/Mopar V8 Dimensions

Kevin Shasteen

What are their dimensions? This seems to come up quite often. I stumbled onto an excellant chart in a book that I've had for quite sometime but hadnt read all the way thru; as of yesturday I read all the way thru it and discovered the chart.

The book is entitled: "Crate Motor Buyers Guide" compiled by John Baechtel and published by SA-Design w/a copywrite date of 1996.

Anyway it has a lot of excellant info besides the dimension chart. The chart list all the sides: front to rear, side to side & up to down on the V8's only...sorry V6 guys-no dimensions on the V6's.

But if anyone is interested in a decent chart-go check the book out at your nearest B&N. Its a yellow book w/blue & red lettering and the Chart is on Page 97.

(Wish I could scan the book & knew how to post it here)

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Tht1KSguy

hmmm well i don't think you could scan it in and get away with it but, couldn't you just type in info and say where you got it like the bibliography in a book report? just a thought icon_smile.gif

Man, hard to believe you actually typed all that info. I found similar info in a book called Engine Swapping Tips & Techniques originally compiled by Hot Rod. Very useful info in there, although much of it is dated and does not cover EFI, engines built after '74, or overdrive transmissions. Still, the info is useful for the most part and the SBC has not changed much over the years.

Davy

Guest John Adkins

Kevin,

Thanks for the effort (all that typing!) but I think the same info is on this page:

http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Tech_Library/Popular_Engine_Specs/dimensions. html

I posted this url a while ago in the mopar forum; I guess nobody saw it....

Also, is the "A" dimension for small block Chevys accurate (26.5")? The 2 or three SBCs I measured were about 28" (maybe the the "long" waterpump instead of the short one?)

The mopar engine dimensions are about right, but they are most commonly mid-sump oilpans, not front-sump, although rear sump and front sump pans are available in truck applications....

Davy..that was one book I never found at the bookstore and for one reason or another have not ordered it: will one of these days just to add to my collection as I always thought of it as a valuable book as well.

John(!), now you tell me about the "URL"...Doh! I definately did not see it when you posted it earlier. Oh well, now we have it on record as a quick reference for those who dont want to buy the book or cant afford to buy the book and something comparable to your URL (more heads are better than one...so are more listings/charts better than just one chart).

The shorter "A" dimension on the SBC must've been for the short water pump; who knows-that's what it said tho, go figure(?).

The book only indicated the 360 SBM & didnt include any other SBM's. I'm not that familiar w/SBM's. As for any book data; there's only one way to confirm anything...actual hands on experience. I'ld only use the measurements as quick reference & not hard data simply because they only measured factory intakes (which factory intakes) & factory exhuas manifolds (which factory exh.manifolds, factory carb's/air filter housings (which ones?)...ect, ect, ect.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Thats an excellent book. I bought that back when it came out (1974-5) and its what peaked my interest in Z car engine swaps. They had one in that book that was scarab mounted with just some aluminum spacers between the mounts and the crossmember engine supports. Lots of neat swaps as well ( mid-engine olds bb/automatic into a 912 porshe!). As mentioned it had a list of dimensions for some engines, transmission spotter guides (including some sort of OD 4sp tranny that Ford had in the 70's). Its a good read, and just recently on a trip to Borders, I saw that its been reprinted, I didn't note any additional new info in it, but didn't peruse it super carefully.

Regards,

Lone

Okay, I finally made time to relay the numbers.

First, the only engines listed were American V8's which included Chevy, Ford, Mopar, Olds & Ponitac..sorry AMC guys-looks like you've been left out again.

Okay: 5 engine classes which include 7 different measurements and I'll list the measurements from A-G, and they are as follows:

A: Top View, Front to Rear of Engine from front of Water Pump hub to the rear of engine where the distributor or the valve cover interferes w/the firewall

B: Bottom View, Front to Rear of Engine, again from the front of the Water Pump Hub to the rear of the engine to the back of the block/oil pan housing

C: Frontal Top View, Side to Side as if you're looking at the engine from the front of the hood w/the front clip removed & the engine sitting or snuggled in the chassis. This particular view is specifically measured from the top of the valve cover from its most outer extreme distance to the other valve cover & its most extreme distance (the extreme distance on each valve cover would be the point on the valve cover that almost touches the inner fender well).

D: Frontal Bottom View, Again from Side to Side as in "E" w/the difference being the point which is measured here are the exhuast manifolds: from the extreme outer distance of one manifold where it almost touches the inner fender well/suspension/steering components to the other exhaust manifold's outer most extreme distance. (Measurements include stock exhaust manifolds only & do not include headers of any kind).

E: Side View, Top to Bottom Measurement from the bottom of the oil pan sump to the intake manifold plenum (stock intake manifolds: "plenum" being the base that the carb or throttle body sits on).

F: Side View, Top to Bottom Measurement also taken from the bottom of the oil pan sump to the top of the carburetor where the air filter housing rests on the carburetor (again-using stock carburetors on top of a stock intake manifold).

G: Side View, Top to Bottom Measurement also take from the bottom of the oil pan sump to the top of the air filter housing (again-only factory air filter houstings were implied).

Now for the engines and their actual measurements (all measurements were given in inches)...drum roll please:

I.) Chevrolet Small Blocks: 350/383/406

A:26.5, B:27, C:19.5, D:26, E:20.5, F:25, G:27

These engines have a stock rear sump & their starters are on the left side of the block

II.) Chevrolet Big Blocks: 396/427/454/502

A:30.5, B:30.5, C:22 D:27, E:23.5, F:29.5, G:33

These engines have a stock rear sump & their startes are on the left side of the block

III.) Ford Small Blocks: 302/351/400

A:27, B:29, C:20, D:22, E:22, F:25, G:27

These engines have a stock front sump & their starters are on the right side of the block

IV.) Ford Big Blocks: 427/460

A:30, B:32, C:23, D:27, E:28, F:30, G:32

These engines have a stock front sump & their staters are on the right side of the block

V.) Mopar Small Block: 360

A:29.5, B:29.5, C:20.5, D:25, E:23.5, F:28, G:31

These engines have a stock front sump & their starters are on the left side of the block

VI.) Mopar Big Blocks (Wedge): 383/400/440

A:29, B:30, C:23.5, D:29.5, E:24, F:28, G:30.5

These engines have a stock front sump & their starters are on the left side of the block

VII.) Mopar Hemi (True Elephantitis): 426

A:32, B:31, C:28.5, D:29, E:24, F:28, G:31

This engine has a stock center sump & its starter is on the left side of the block

VIII) Olds Small Blocks: 350/400

A:28.2, B:28.2, C:21.5, D:26, E:20.2, F:25, G:27.5

These engines have a stock rear sump & their starters are on the right side of the block

IX.) Olds Big Blocks: 455

A:29, B:31, C:22.5, D:26.5, E:24, F:27, G:31

X.) Pontiac Small Blocks: 350/400

A:28.2, B:29, C:22, D:27, E:26, G:31

These engines have a stock rear sump & their starters are on the left side

XI.) Pontiac Big Blocks: 455

A:29.5, B:32, C:23, D:27, E:28.5, F:33

These engines have a stock rear sump & their starters are on the right side of the block.

*NOTE: Its obvious not all displacements were listed-if you're displacement isnt listed, simply pick the small/big block series engines your block is related to & you should be in the ball park as far as measurements for your engine.

Hope this helps. BTW...I didnt copy this (tongue & cheek) I actually searched the salvage yards & measured each engine after I removed it. But, just in case some cheap attourney doesnt believe me...each & everyone of you may send a small donation my way for my lawsuit relief fund!

twak.gif

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)