HybridZ

"fenders where professionally installed" (bondo-fest 2009)

hoov100

So what was supposed to be something as simple as a urethane spoiler removal, turned into a fender project to fix the install of the subtle z flares from the previous owner. (and i bought the car to avoid body work)

alright, a little paint stripper and its enough to soften the body filler enough to rip the spoiler end off.

DSC00948.jpg

then i thought that maybe the ends where held on by bondo and glue, so i started scratching and pecking my way through it with a screw driver and hammer!

DSC00949.jpg

and whalla! it popped off, after an hour!

DSC00952.jpg

found some interesting things once that end piece was removed....

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

then i started to realize why the rear of my car never really looked sharp like the stock body lines of an s30.

DSC00958-1.jpg

DSC00959-1.jpg

DSC00960-1.jpg

and yes, that jagged edge of grey paint you see on the right is actually the edge of the fiberglass, it appears then didnt even try to bond the fiberglass with the metal, they just riveted the panel in place and covered it with filler.

DSC00965-1.jpg

it wont look too bad bad, once the feners are cleaned and smoothed back to there original shape.

DSC00963-1.jpg

DSC00962-1.jpg

i guess i now have to drill out the rivets and start all over, should be interesting, I'm going to do it correctly though.

Yup, that stinks man. I know your pain. When I bought my 76 it was because it only had a couple of rusty spots on the floorboards. Well, 4 yrs later I am mostly done with the extensive rust repair of this vehicle; floors, doglegs, rear inside fenders, batterybox and firewall, both front rockers, etc, etc. I should have known better. Amazingly the rails were completely rust free. Wierd.