HybridZ

early 260 with a mallory distributor tach problems

So I did a search didn't find much!

I had the classicZcars.com people sent me here!

But I picked up a early 260z and some one put in a mallory distributor and coil.

an my tach pegs at max rpm! all the time any one know about this problem or can help me out at all?

I know it has a transistor but I'm not really sure if some thing is wired wrong or it need some kinda adapter ?

Go up to MSDignition.com They have the schematic diagrams for each tach adapter on their site for download. You should be able to determine which one you need for your application. Do you have another ignition box on it or is the distributor points type? I don't think you can run without an electronic box if you are running electronic ignition. There may be a 12-80 module from a later Z on it to run the ignition.

OK....the other red wire....where does that go? and which wires go to the tach? maybe if you can draw a schematic of how it's wired now. I think there are 2 tach wires one should terminate at the ballast resistor and one on the coil as I remember I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...