HybridZ

78 280Z wont start and stay running all of a sudden, misses horribly

I parked this car a few days ago and went to start it and as soon as it start it runs at around 400rpm missfiring really badly then stalling out. I cant get it to rev above 2000rpm either. It seems to me like the engine isnt getting enough fuel pressure possibly.

The ignition coil is new

cap and rotor is new

wires and plugs are new

headgaskets are new

rockers were just adjusted

How would i check the fuel pump? The fuel pressure regulator or what i'm assuming is the fuel pressure regulator looks new as well. I dont see a schrader valve to check the pressure or anything

I have also had constant problem where if i am driving out of nowhere the engine will die and usually start right back up in about 30 seconds. Sometimes i will park it hot and not be able to get the engine to start for 5-10 minutes of cranking and waiting.

I have cleaned every electrical contact with Caigs D5 and swapped and tested the AFM (both). This AFM seemed to run alot better than the old one. I am probably going to swap back in the old one just to see if it does anything but this car ran great with the new one so i dont see why its an issuse. I had it opened and checked it all over.

Any ideas guys? I'd really like ot get this running right and paint it before the LS1 swap.

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure if you checked it already, but I had this problem when I first got my Z and it turned out to be water inside the throttle positioning sensor plug. Once I narrowed it down and disconnected the tps, it fixed the issue. When i dried it out and reconnected it, the problem was fixed.