HybridZ

Fuel tank removal

I checked my Hayne's, which normally serves me well for these simple things, but it didn't help at all. It just said 'remove fuel tank, reinstallation is the opposite of removal'. Thanks, guys. Thanks a lot.

I know it's here somewhere, but the search results were overwhelming. I went through four pages of results, then decided I'd break down and ask.

The only trouble I can see is the three philips screws at the bottom of the filler neck, inside the hatch area of the car. It LOOKS like they go directly into the tank, so I suppose I don't want to just rip/cut them out, but I do want to get the tank out so I can purge it and install my electronic fuel pump and some stainless fuel lines before the meet this weekend. The three screws point directly at the filler cap, almost as if a screwdriver with a 90* bend would be able to reach them, but they're definitely not going to move with that little amount of torque on them. I have a very short stubby philips, but still can't get clearance on them.

It looks like:

10 The filler neck blocks access to the philips screws

20 The filler neck is attached using the philips screws

30 goto 10

(ctrl+c)

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction here, I really need a little guidance. I've seen a lot of bare s30's with the tanks out, but I haven't seen a video or anything of anyone removing one. It's a little infuriating.

1. Drain the tank.

2. Disconnect the fuel lines from the tank to the pump and the return.

3. Disconnect the electrical connections to the sender.

4. Remove the straps holding the tank in place.

5. The tank should sag down enough to get a screwdriver on the filler neck clamp.

6. Remove the clamp.

7. Pull the filler neck off the tank.

8. Pull the tank down some more and remove the evap hoses from the top.

9. Remove the tank.

If you still can't get to the clamp in step 5 then use some side cutters to cut the two wires that make up the clamp. Replace it with a hose clamp.

1. Done.

2. Done.

3. Done (easier than I expected, there are no screws on it, just slip connectors!)

4. Done (also easier than was expected, with a jack under the tank to relieve tension)

5. Tank is sagged.

6. In the passenger's cabin, or do I need to squeeze my hand between the tank and the floor of the hatch?

7. Now it's making sense... I don't need to remove the 3 screws in the cabin?

8. They're already off

9. Hopefully tonight.

Thanks, I'm going to give it another go tonight!

... I definitely didn't mean to put this in the member projects section, would you mind moving it to the correct section? I always forget that member projects can't be replied to.

Oh right, I forgot to update this. There was a steel plate on the back of the passenger's wheelwell that I had to cut off in order to get to the clamp on the BOTTOM of the filler neck. A bunch of compressed air got the chunky little bits of old fuel grime out, and I decided to clean up what little rust was present while I had it out. Here it is halfway through stripping:

2009-08-05%2018.16.39.jpg

I've repainted it and as soon as I get the first fuel pump mounted up, I'll put it back in. Thanks for the help, guys!