HybridZ

questions about metalflake

CantZme

Hi, I'm new to painting and I will be painting my 260z with a base coat/ clear coat system (urethane) using a 2.0 voc clear (limco 4200), my base coat is a metallic color (neptune blue mica code:8r7, from lexus rx) and I like the color a lot, but I wanted to add some metal flake for a subtle touch. I really don't want full coverage of the flake over the base coat. I have been told that the rule of thumb for full coverage is 1oz. of flake per 12oz. of clear; however, I don't want full coverage and just want the flake to still show the basecoat. I was planning on putting 1 oz. of clear per 24oz. of flake so that the basecoat would still stand out. Anybody know if I can do this? The flake I have is 1/250th of an inch bling flake so they are the equivalent to ultra mini HOK flakes (.004in.) and the color of the flake is black. I don't have experience in the area, please someone, give me some guidance.

mica is different from metalic isnt it? isnt mica is a color with micro glitters without the metallic effect. i say ditch the glitter and just use the blue mica itself. do you already have your paint? if thers alot of glitter in the mix already, dont spoil it and have too much glitter effect. look at my DIY thread an see how my fender looks in the sunlight. thats just the base itself under clear.

I wasn't aware that mica was any different. I was told that my basecoat was metallic by the shop that I purchased it from, but the color is called neptune blue mica. I really want to use the metalflake for a contrast of color and I'm thinking a subtle amount of micro black flake with a blue basecoat will looking outstanding. I just want to know if a lesser amount of flake will still produce a nice even finish.

when i was shopping for colors, i notice some say mica and some say met. im sure thers a difference between the two and was told that was the difference but not too sure also. if the flakes are black, it wouldnt show as much until it hits the sunlight. it wouldn matter if you put a full amount or a little, one would assume the glitter effect will only show less sparkle. it will still cover evenly either way.

the downside to putting flake in the clear is 1: overlap is crucial to even layout of the flake so you dont get clusters of flake and 2: after you've achieved the consistancy of flake you want then you have to bury that flake under multiple coats of clear in order to longer feel the flake and be able to cut and buff your topcoat for your shine and not to damage the flakes that are on edge and stick up.....

i work at a body shop and we've done numerous flake jobs on base/clear and single stage jobs...your best bet in a base/clear setup is to use a transparent basecoat to carry just the flake and no color and spray it very sinilar to a candy/tri stage setup so you save on clear and time in the process...and transparent base is fairly inexpensive...

as for the mica met. difference i'll find out tomorrow the difference i have an idea but i wanna get it straight first...

hope this helps happy painting

mica is a very fine flake such as your pearls and what not....metallics come in all sorts of fine, coarse, medium, large size flakes.

thats what i thought because my metalic has all kinds of different flake in it compare to mica colors where it looks more steady.