HybridZ

Valve springs for 305 comp cam w/stock heads?

Guest Russ240z

Guest Russ240z

What springs should I use with chevy 461 heads and a 305 comp cam (.525in .525ex)? The valve seats are stock and my rocker arms are stamped. I would also like to convert to the comp cams roller tips, 1.52 or 1.6. What effect do these tips have on my selection of springs?

I'd get on the phone with Comp Cams tech line. That cam alone will need some hefty springs. If your 461s haven't been machined already for 1.48" springs or larger, then you'll need to do that, I'd bet. I've never used larger ratio rockers, but that might mean you need stiffer springs yet. Surely Comp Cams can help you with that as well as Grumpyvette and others here.

Guest Russ240z

When I bought the motor it had the 305 cam in it. I suspected it was too big for my motor. Shortly thereafer I broke the intake spring on the #1 piston and replaced it with a spare I had. I'm afraid the improper springs were installed to begin with and I'm running on borrowed time.

Here are the engine details: 406cid, 461 castings, stock valves (1.94, 1.50 I think), stock rocker arms, performer 600 carb, weiand xcelerator intake, forged flat-tops, stock rods and crank. It is backed up by a TH350, 3000 stall, and 12 bolt with 4.88 gears.

I called Jegs earlier today and they recommended K-Motion 750 springs with max lift of .610. Tomorrow I will call Comp for their advice.

Regardless, should I keep the current setup and add new springs along with a victor jr 1" intake I already have, or is something more invloved needed to match my parts properly?

BTW, what does the desktop dyno say about my combo? Thanks much.