HybridZ

Roth's 72 240z build on a budget

Hello everyone, my name's Roth and I am from socal. This is my first Z that I bought for technically $600. It's missing a tranny at the moment. I am going to tackle the rust on the floors first. So that means out with the old.

My plan is to cut out the old floor and weld in 20 gauge sheet metal with square tubing for the frame rails. I'm also hoping to raise the floors a bit for ground clearance and an agressive drop.

This is how I got it from the PO. I've already taken a few things off before the picture, but there she is.

cimg5349v.jpg

Here's how it was before i went at it with the sawzall:

cimg5358c.jpg

cimg5360.jpg

And then at the point of no return. This has to be the scariest thing I've ever done to a car. The Rust made it very easy to cut through so I guess +1 for rust.

cimg5361e.jpg

cimg5362a.jpg

Well there you have it. I think I am going to finish up the driver side first before starting on the pass side.

I would like to add that I'll be getting the sheet metal and square tubing from a place in socal called "Metal Depot". It's a nice suplus warehouse that carries a lot of stock metal new and old. Here's a website just in case you're in socal and havent heard of this place.

http://www.metaldepot.com/

It's located in La Mirada Right off the Five freeway

Also I'm keeping track of the build costs and so far:

240z- $600

DMV Non-Op and taxes- $98

Black diamond pattern vinyl and a few panels- $30

Material for floors and frame-???