HybridZ

Pros and cons of a 400 sbc.

I'm getting ready to rebuild my 383 sbc. (externally balanced). I'm looking for 400+ hp. I have Edelbrock Preformer heads and intake and I'm going to put a roller cam in it. I have a 400 sbc. setting on a cart. I'm thinking of rebuilding it instead. I've never ran one, I've heard they have overheating problems. The 383 is a 87 block, the 400 is a 76. I'm thinking the parts will swap. It's my DD. (When it's not on jackstands) Chime in.

OK first thing the current crank WON,T bolt into the 400 block with its larger main bearing diam. WITHOUT bearing spacers or custom thicker bearings

yes with those it could be done.

you'll also need to drill the steam holes in the heads to match the 400 block and buy new pistons and re balance the assembly, and Im not sure if your particular rotating assembly is a one or two piece rear seal version but the 400 surely is the older 2 piece, now since your only looking for 400 hp that's a great deal of expense you could avoid

I can easily give you a parts combo to get you to 400 hp with the 383 if you will tell me about your current drive train, compression ratio, and all components Id let you know what needs to be changed

Edited by grumpyvette