HybridZ

Electric Fan options...

Kyouto42

Hey, I've tried searching but either I'm failing hard at searching today or I dunno. Anyway, I recently picked up a '78 280z with an AMC 327 v8 in it. It's rough but, it runs, can't argue that. While in motion, it runs fine, around 180F (sometimes creeping to 190F), but in stop/go it's got up to about 230 before (I wanted to stop sooner I just, couldn't...) Anyway, what it tells me is the radiator is more than adequate, but the fan isn't. The shroud is useless as it is, and the electric fan the previous owner threw on is pathetic. I was wondering if there's an electric fan that would fit the original shroud well enough (at least for a patch job for now) that will keep it cool. I just need it enough to get the car back to AZ more than anything, and while it's fine up here in Portland at 64F ambient, even in December it'll be over 75F, let alone the cali desert side.

I know there's something about a Taurus fan that maxwell mentioned, but I can't remember the year and he's not on atm. Thanks in advance...

Current fan:

2009-08-15+12_37_04.jpg

2009-08-15+12_37_28.jpg

Thanks

I used a Taurus 2-speed fan on my swap. If I were doing it again, and I had a nice shroud like yours, I'd seriously consider a motor-driven fan.

There are a number of advantages. An engine-driven fan will move more air than any three Taurus fans. It's reliable as hell. There's no wiring, noting here that the wiring for the Taurus has to be 10 gauge or so, as there's some serious startup amperage. No fuses to silently blow at the wrong time, no fuse mounting, no concerns about big enough alternators, or big enough relays (which are expensive if you get the good ones), and no concerns about how to control the thing reliably. With a proper clutch, you don't have to worry about its' working when you don't need it to. Also, you won't have to worry about mounting the thing, as you've got everything there already. Buying a performance fan and clutch, plus a spacer, will be considerably cheaper. Also, any Taurus setup will involve an old fan/motor assembly out of an old car.

Downsides? Yeah, a couple. Engine-driven fans are noisy, and a little scary to work around. They use some power, but so do electrics, though I'll bet you can argue that they don't pull any more than an electric (via the load on the alternator). Mounting options are a bit more limited, but not radically so.

Something to think about.

Those are some good points, and if I was planning on keeping this motor I'd probably go a mechanical route. For now though, quick patch the Taurus 2 speed seems like a better bet for my situation. I'll just bypass relays and run a quick in cabin on/off switch to make life easier. Thanks for the replies though, appreciated!