HybridZ

78 280Z Fuel Pump Relay

I just bought and started working on a 78 280Z. Make it run was my first step. This car has been sitting for two years and ran fine before then. While working through the bugs I found that there was a relay under the passenger seat that goes to the fuel pump. If the wires were plugged into the relay, pump would not run. I bypassed the relay and pump runs and only shuts off with the ignition turned off. So I replaced the relay, and same thing.

Questions

1) Is the relay factory? No one shows a replacement relay. If not how is the pump wired originally?

2) Is there any down side to not having the relay and making it a permanent bypass?

3) Anyone have the same problem a successfully fixed it?

That's for the earlier models. The 78 only has one fuel pump. I have that diagram in the shop manual, but even the manual doesn't say alot if anything about the relay or how its wired. Thank you for the effort though, Its going to be a long road to get this Z up and running and I need all the help I can get.

Guest eric_503

Might of missed something then,I pulled up 78/280z and got that. Theres only one fuel pump on there,unless Im totally blind or dont know what Im talking about,which could be a possibility.

I did find something else in the online one I pulled up tho. It should have a relay,according to this. In the relieving the fuel pressure section it says start the engine and remove the fuel pump relay while the engine is running.After the engine stalls crank the engine with the starter and turn the ignition off. It also says how to test the fuel pump but the relay isnt mentioned. I havent found the troubleshooting section yet either.