HybridZ

fiberglass dash?

Guest 400 ci 280z

I pulled my dash the other day it wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be. Mine is severely cracked and I was wondering what I could do to fix them (cracks) before adding the full face dash cover. I'm glad I read this post because now I have the answer, Bondo. Thanks guys for indirectly helping another Z-person out :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Night_rider_383

Hey guys. I aint been on here in a while. I came across this tonight and wanted to add my two cents.

I bought a 78 trans am in dec. and in my quest to lower weight i built my own fiberglass dash and will be making my own front end and trunk lid soon. Heres what i done. I pulled the whole dash out, cause i was lookin for lower weight i took off the glove box, ash tray, e-brake handel, and heater/ac vents. covered all the holes with cardboard and duct tape. washed dash good, using clear tape and two sided tape, i corved whole dash with alum foil. then useing two sided tape i taped fiberglass cloth on to the foil, when all that was on and cut right, i mixed up my resin and painted the resin on the cloth with a cheap throw away paint brush, i used one layer of cloth, 2 coats of resin on most of the dash but places that holds gauges, switchs, bolts etc. i used 3-4 layers of cloth and 3 coats of resin. after the resin set for bout 1.5 hours i went ahead and pulled it off my oem dash, then turned it over and pulled all the alum foil off the back side of my glass one. Let it sit over night, next day cut all the edeges clean, and tryed the fit, it fits right in my car and it stiff enough to hoold with no prob. still got to sand it and cause this was my 1st time workin glass i got a few bubbles in it that i need to sand down and use a light coat of bondo to smooth it, then sand again and paint. Very easy to do and came out very good i used none of the stock metal in my glass' dash. I liked the way it turned out , so i will be doing a 1 pc tilt front end and lift off trunk lid in about a mo. but for these i will use matt not cloth.