Vehicle Registration

Guest Grampa Les

Here yo go Gramps:

H&S 43002 Exemptions; Motor Vehicles of Historic Interest

43002. No motor vehicle of historic interest shall be required to

have any motor vehicle pollution control device, except for such

devices that were required by this part for such vehicles prior to the

time that special identification plates were issued for that vehicle

pursuant to Section 5004 of the Vehicle Code.

(Added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957.)

or...

H&S 44011 Certificate of Compliance Exceptions

44011. (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion

engines that are registered within an area designated for program

coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of

compliance or noncompliance, except for all of the following:

(1) Every motorcycle, and every diesel-powered vehicle, until the

department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures

applicable to motorcycles or to diesel-powered vehicles, or both.

(2) Any motor vehicle that has been issued a certificate of

compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of

ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding

six months.

(3) (A) Prior to January 1, 2003, any motor vehicle manufactured

prior to the 1974 model-year.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2003, any motor vehicle that is 30 or more

model-years old.

(4) (A) Any motor vehicle four or less model-years old.

(B) The department, by regulation, may increase the exemption

provided by this paragraph to include any motor vehicle up to six or

less model-years old.

© Any motor vehicle excepted by this paragraph shall be subject

to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the

department, if any of the following apply:

(i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or

other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle

has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause a

smog check test as specified in Section 44012.

(ii) The vehicle was previously registered outside this state and

is undergoing initial registration in this state.

(iii) The vehicle is being registered as a specially constructed

vehicle.

(iv) The vehicle has been selected for testing pursuant to Section

44014.7 or any other provision of this chapter authorizing out-of-cycle

testing.

(5) In addition to the vehicles exempted pursuant to paragraph (4),

any motor vehicle or class of motor vehicles exempted pursuant to

subdivision (B) of

Section 44024.5. It is the intent of the

Legislature that the department, pursuant to the authority granted by

this paragraph, exempt at least 15 percent of the lowest emitting motor

vehicles from the biennial smog check inspection.

(6) Any motor vehicle that the department determines would present

prohibitive inspection or repair problems.

(7) Any vehicle registered to the owner of a fleet licensed

pursuant to

Section 44020 if the vehicle is garaged exclusively

outside the area included in program coverage, and is not primarily

operated inside the area included in program coverage.

(B) Vehicles designated for program coverage in enhanced areas

shall be required to obtain inspections from appropriate smog check

stations operating in enhanced areas.

(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 67, Sec. 13. Effective July 6, 1999.)

References at the time of publication (see page iii):

Regulations:

13, CCR sections 2036, 2037, 2038, 2039

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps you?

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I hate the sound of some of that. My 72 is exempt from testing and has only a PCV valve, no smog pump, charcoal canister or any other form of smog equip. on it.

Is anyone else the least bit nervous about getting stopped in a CARB road side inspection (which I've seen first hand last summer in my area)? Also doesn't DMV test like 10% of the states vehicles even if they don't require a smog check that year (or is that just the ones after 73?).

Not having deep pockets to cover the fines that could be involved gives me only three options none of which I like very much (well number one would be Ok, the Nova was another favorite car, I had a 62):

1) Pull the motor and tranny, find a 66 or older chev (probably a early chev II, its weight is actually pretty comparable to a Z with a full cage) and sell the Z shell to someone braver than I.

2) Smog the motor to whatever year I choose which I think I can get away with as the motor is a 'replacement' 350 for cars from 1969 to 1986. That means a smog pump, and all the particular stuff that went with it. I'm not sure how this would play out with this Goodwrench motor considering its not really a replacement motor in a Z. Perhaps referee station and a cert. plate stating its cool if I ever got checked would be needed. I donno. I could put on a 85 TPI but then would a Cat be required in Cal.? I know other states don't if the car didn't have it, but in Cal I'm not so sure.

3) Boldly run around and hope I don't get pinched. If they started tacking on fines for removal of smog equip I'm not sure I could afford to even get the car back.

Not to needlessly worry anyone thats running a modified 72 or 73 but what does everyone else think? Option 1 and 2 are looking the best, but I'm not sure, I like the Z ok, but not if I have to worry about looking over my shoulder all the time for the smog Nazi's. Any opinions one way or the other, or have you thought about it at all?

Regards,

Lone

Lone et al.,

I deal with CARB and several AQMDs on a regular basis (for stationary sources though, not mobile sources). I will contact several of my contacts and get some specifics on how these regs are actually interpreted and enforced. I will report back here once I get some news.

Tim

Guest Grampa Les

Thanks guys

Well, have a 76, and live in Fremont, Z is begging for sbc -- It could be willing to settle for Cat, and PCV. Have been told there are still places in Ca. where you only smog if you sell. (Not every two years) so car might for some reason have a different address----or how much do I have to change -- for it to be a KIT ? Am totally willing to bend a few rules --- But neither Z or I like Jail smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks a ton Tim, I truly appreciate that, I just get a bit worried about sinking in more money if its going to bite me in the butt later. Thanks again.

Regards,

Don

Guest Anonymous

In the State of Oregon smog crap is fairly well regulated in the only major metropolitan of Portland. I plan to register my 1978 280 Z sbc engined rebodied Tomahawk as a 1966 Cobra replica which is a simple inspection and proceedure in Oregon.. I will guarantee that no limited production Cobra had smog devices except for a pvc. I have a 1952 MGTD replica that I am not required to wear seat belts because it did not come equipped with seat belts but since I installed them I am required to wear them (which is foolish not to in that contraption)Register it as a rare 1960 Rossa del Rodeo Speedster replica.When I registered the MG, the inspetor had never heard of the car.

The thanks comes from me too, Tim, as I also live in Kali. I downloaded all the info into a file. Not sure about 'historical vehicle' registration when it comes to insurance and mileage requirements. I'll have to look into that aspect of it, because I don't want any mileage restrictions. I know Todd Kaneko has his cars reg'd as historical vehicles even though they are heavily modified, but I'm not sure how many miles they are driven and can be driven a year.

Davy

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Gramps.

You can do the swap legally on your '76 Z if you pull an engine from a '76 V8 Chevy car and all the smog equipment too (PCV, charcoal cannister, smog pump, etc.) The engine compartment will look a bit cluttered, but that's not a big deal. Read about it in the JTR book, if you have not already purchased it, and do it legally to the car you have now. Once you get the car registered legally with the V8, you can then buy smog legal performance parts to hop it up a bit. The car will still be fast and you have the option (it is illegal :rolleyes: ) to pull out the smog stuff and reinstall it every two years. The smog pump is really the only thing I personally don't like BTW.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grampa Les

Thanks Davy, and all

You are right, I was just looking for an easy way out. And part of the reason the CAMARO was so reasonable, is a few items were missing -- honest officer, must have fell off, somewhere ?