HybridZ

Rb Normal Operating Temperature

streeteg

Well I finally got my Z back together, and it could just be that I didnt bleed it good enough the first time around, but the car touches 210 sitting in traffic. Granted it was almost 100 degrees in the sun this weekend, but still that seems pretty hot to me. When cruising it will go to about 195. In the winter (before the build) the car would cruise @ 180 and might go up to 195 in traffic, but I always attributed it to having a shitty fan setup.

This is all through the autometer sender-- which I havent tested against the stocker. This reading is taken from the back of the motor in between the block and my heater core on a line inside the car. Not sure how much variance there is there but we will see. It just worries me that it gets this hot. When I hook up the PFC I will get it off the stock locaiton on the intake manifold.

Additionally-- I wasnt sure if there was a special coolant/additive people used to control heat.

Anyway-- I dont want anything to get ruined as I put a lot of time and effort into this car to have the motor pop.

Here is an old picture but the rad/fan setup hasnt changed:

after.JPG

-Eric

Last time I checked cruising was around 190, pretty much floats around 180-195. I got the reading from the ecu's coolant temp sensor since I am running a nistune. 210 might be a little on the hot side but sitting in traffic with insufficient fans will do that. You can try "water wetter", redline makes it and all the major autostore stock it, people swear by that stuff.

I run two small puller fans in a similar configuration to yours. They are not ideal as they only cover a portion of the radiator.. A shroud would likely help quite a bit. I also run a large single pusher fan between the intercooler and radiator. A simple on/off switch is used to control the fan manually. This helps a lot in stop and go traffic. As mentioned "water wetter " is a good idea as well...i did notice a difference. I usually run in the area of 180 to 195 as well. Not sure what you are running for coolant but with water wetter you can run pretty much straight distilled water...this will help with your temps as well. And lastly of course..you need to get the heat out of the engine bay...

ya i am getting my exhaust redone and i am gonna wrap the downpipe. I like the idea of the inbetween fan as well. My hood is cut over my turbo and I have a hood scoop. Water wetter will be the next purchase as well as a fan shroud. I think theres a lot of potential

I run the following:

69 camaro rad

Spal fan

water wetter with straight water

Flexalite fan controller

lots of ducting

i never hit above 200, im usually at 180-190. 200 is my limit.

Sometimes when I go up a hill at low rpms/highload temps climb to 200+, then I ease off or lay into it to give the rad some airflow... im sure the cops dont like it but whatever.

Im putting an aluminum replacment rad in soon and will work more on the ducting more to solve that.

200+ is a bad thing. Temp issues go away when the ambient temp is below 20 deg celcius, BTW

just watch your temps, if they climb at cruising/high speeds, work on ducting. overheating in traffic, stoplights, wokr on your fans.