HybridZ

puke tank - where do I put it?

Lewis Maudlin

I torched my engine the other day. My thermostat stuck and the stock gauge chose not to work that day. I now have autometer gauges. I am still worried that my car will get too hot this summer when I turn the AC on. I think that I need a puke tank to keep fluid levels up when the thermostat opens. Where do I put it? Any good suggestions. Does that coolant tank have to be higher than the radiator? If so, is there anyplace close to the radiator to put it? Thanks.

Guest greimann

Lets first clairfy the purpose of the puke (or catch) tank. It catches radiator fluid when the pressure relief in the radiator cap opens because of:

A - normal thermal expansion of the fluid.

B - excessive pressure caused by overheating.

When the engine cools down and the fluid contracts, it draws the reserve fluid back into the system to keep it topped off.

The hose that connects the radiator to the catch tank runs from the little barb under the radiator cap to the bottom of the catch tank. Since transfer of fluid is accomplished by significant differential pressure between the two systems (not gravity), the level of the catch tank can be anywhere that is convenient.

So yes, it is a good idea, but it won't solve your overheating problem. :mad: