HybridZ

L28E, quick question.

Try'd the search button, came up with a lot of stuff, none of which pertained to me. However, I would like to know if the code on all of the stock 280z's read L28-E, The reason why I ask is a man with a 260z has an 2.8l motor in his car, but being how old he is and it wasnt his engine swap, he doesnt know if the car has a 280z engine, or zx, I personally have not seen the car, i would just like to know if you can tell me anything from the code L28-E.

• Administrators

The letter "E" in L28E is a designation primarily used mostly in parts books at auto parts stores, it will NOT be found on the engine anywhere. The "E" helps to differentiate early, ('75-'80) vs late, (81-'83) for the parts store counter people as that is the point, (’81 model year), when most of the "parts" changes took place on the engine itself, even though there were a couple internal changes in head casting and cam oiling for the '77 model year.

Being as this L-28 was swapped into an early chassis, the E designation becomes not as important, but more importantly for sourcing parts is the knowledge if it is later 3 bolt thermostat housing or the earlier 2 bolt style.

By definition, ALL US market L28’s are L28E, E meaning Electronic Fuel injection. All US L-28's from 1975 to 1983, will have L28 stamped in the block, passenger side, rear of the block under the heater outlet of the head. So long as the block is stamped L-28, it is an L28-L28E.

If your plans are to leave the engine stock, there really is no need to concern yourself with early vs late L-28 as they all have similar performance, similar reliability, and either respond similarly to the same mild mods such as fine tuning, header and free flowing exhaust etc. Of more importance is the condition of the engine, how was it maintained, etc.

For what it’s worth, the early L28 were dished piston and small chamber heads, 2 different casting of heads, N42 and N47. The N-47 casting was used on the last 2 years of the 280-Z and first 3 years of the 280-ZX. Later L-28’s were flat top pistons with a larger chamber head, casting number P79. If the head is casting number P90, chances are the engine is a Turbo engine, L28ET with dished pistons, unless someone swapped heads, which at the age of these cars/engines and so many people tinkering with them, is quite possible.

If building a hot L-28 from a clean slate, the decision to start from an early or late L-28, each has its own merits and demerits. If you plan to build a radical L-28, don’t get to worked over which L-28 it is as you are going to change most of if not all the bits and pieces that made them different anyhow.

In short, they are different, but from a performance standpoint or the standpoint of OE, they are all L-28E’s, all have the same potential.

Hope that helps,

Paul

The stamp on the casting below my sparkplugs on my 280z reads L-28E, and it has a P79 head with a W24 intake manifold, ect... In short, I could've just looked at my engine to reference it, but thats what I get for being young and not experienceed with the actual information parts and not just the building and replacing for parts. Anyway,Thank you SO much, its people like you that make this website worthwile and a great place to be, Ill be posting pictures of this car when he goes to buy, and If he doesnt, I might just have to find my 1978 280z a new buddy for the heated garage this winter. Thanks a ton