HybridZ

Az Smog questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Due to a life changing event (don't ask) malebitchslap.gif I may be moving to Tempe Az.

My question is whats going to be required to smog my 72 with a stock carbed 350 and 6 sp tranny? I know metro Phoenix and Tucson are tougher, but here in Tempe from what I've read I'm thinking I'll have a sniffer at two rpm settings and maybe a visual inspection? Can anyone from AZ confirm that. I'm not against using EFI like say a TPI system if it'll make things easier to pass (and later tweak ;) ).

Anyone know? Thanks for your time,

Lone

Lone,

You'll have an idle test and a dyno test. As long as all of the emissions equipment that was on the car when it was built (in one form or another) are on the car and you don't exceed the HC and CO specs, you'll be fine.

I live in Peoria, AZ (on the other side of town from you)

Ummmm, smog equipment? Surely you must be joking! I find it hard to believe that other parts of the country are doing dyno checks and whatnot, while we here in Kali just do a sniffer? Geez, for once I'm glad I live here...and for a 240Z yet no less! sour.gif

Lone, I'm not doubting the info above, but to hold a 240Z to that kind of test is just stupid IMO. You might want to contact their Air Resources Board just for fun (info).

Davy

every state has different laws and some have different laws for different areas.carson valley(reno.carson city,mindon)have very tough smog laws-like no max repair limit for smoking engines.denver has problems too.the bay area will soon be bar 97-dyno smogs .california will be ok as long as they dont change the pre73 exemption.msot of the lobbying to keep pre 73 cars exempt comes from sema.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by awd92gsx:

Lone,

You'll have an idle test and a dyno test. As long as all of the emissions equipment that was on the car when it was built (in one form or another) are on the car and you don't exceed the HC and CO specs, you'll be fine.

I live in Peoria, AZ (on the other side of town from you)

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate the info. Once I get it down here we'll have to hook up sometime. Thanks again for the info!

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by DavyZ:

Lone, I'm not doubting the info above, but to hold a 240Z to that kind of test is just stupid IMO. You might want to contact their Air Resources Board just for fun (info).

Davy

Umm, well as far as I've been able to tell, they don't have a ARB like CARB here, its all lumped under DOT here. They're exemptions here are just earlier (1967 I think it is, but it might be 64 I can't recall off the top of my head) just as Kali was years back.

Phoenix and Tucson metro have some pretty serious smog problems so they're rather strict. The combination of it (Phoenix) being the sixth largest city in the US and the heat really causes some problems smog wise.

I think another contributor to the smog is the fact that despite they're E W N S freeways (which are basically parking lots at rush hour like most everywhere else) much of the traffic is on three lane surface streets with stoplights every .5 to 1 mile. This contributes I'm sure to the pollution problem here. (also to the incidents of left turn lane and rear ender accidents of which I see daily here...). The lesson I learned by witnessing the wreck here is... Drive in the center lane whenever possible on the surface streets and even then be ready to punch the brakes.. :D

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

Yeah, when you get out here lemme know and we'll definitely have to get together sometime and chat.

Check out http://www.desertzassociation.com sometime.

Unfortunately, like I keep telling people, AZ emissions are more of a PITA than Cali emissions are at the moment, mainly because you can't just go to Jose's Automotive to be tested like the Cali guys can.

We have centralized testing along with all of the same standards that Cali has. Exemptions? What are those? Not here. All '67-97 vehicles are dynoed, while 97+ use the OBD-II test (they just plug the scan tool in and check for readiness test and codes...takes all of like 5 minutes)

Guest jwelch

Hi Lone,

Bill is correct in what he said on the equipment.

I believe you are going to be OK with what you have for AZ. The good thing here is that they don't go by the year of the engine (even if it is a swap or conversion) they go by the year of the car. So your Z will need to pass CO and HC (on the dyno with sniffer inserted)for a 1972 Datsun. Make sure you have the purge canister hooked up as they are really picky about that. They will also pressure test your fuel system so make sure it is working too. It shouldn't be difficult to pass with what you have.

I'm having a hard time passing this year because mine is a 77 (my engine is a 69), but luckily mine wasn't a factory CA. car so I don't need a smog pump or cats. I've made alot of changes this year and am having to redial the car in. Added Holley Pro-Jection/ smaller cam etc. I will pass eventually.

They may "freak" out when they open the hood and see the beast in there. On your year they may not even have you open the hood if your lucky. I usually get some young kid who can't wait to romp on the throttle so they don't hassle me too much. They have a hard time figuring out how to put the car in the computer system since it has a V8.

I believe you will have to go through re-inspection at the DMV to get AZ. plates too. I've heard it isn't very difficult.

Tempe,Mesa,Metro Phoenix are all the same. BTW the cut off year for testing is 1966. What a coincidence I just bought a 66 Charger with a 383. No emissions required rockon.gif

Forgot to mention I was a member of the desertzassociation car club for a while. You should check it out. I just didn't have time for it when it was starting up. Has alot of members.

Regards,

John

77 280V8Z

66 383 Charger