HybridZ

To all TEXANS .... in Harris, Denton,Collin, Dallas and Tarr

Sumo

It looks like we are going to have a new emissions testing program again effective MAY 1. You know, its the same one that got kicked out by Bush and the company sued the state and got $270 some odd million dollars. Like Bush said before if only 10% of the population is in non attainment why are you bothering the rest of the 90%? At least we still have the rolling 25 yr. old deal, where if you have a vehicle 25 years old you need only to get a safety inspection 2-24 gets the nasty newer cars dont need it (obviously). But this time we have a choice..., You can bring it to ANY inspection station..at least for the two inspection stations that can afford the $40,000 equiptment upgrade. ugg.gif Im pretty sure that there are only a handfull right now that have it including car dealers.

So if you have an inspection coming up, do a little civic disobedience. nono.gif (besides im pretty sure there wont be a lot of stations equipped with the new dyno yet) weird.gif If your in the 2-24 category and get your car inspected because fee is going to go up. They can charge you up to $39 which is almost double in most cases. 96 and above gets plugged in to an obd II computer to check if it is within parameters, 95 and below get the dreaded dynamometer with some punk ass off the street moron with a screw driver in his back pocket waiting to tear your upholstery. fmad.gif

Dont get me wrong i want clean air but TESTING has never cleaned it. If you really want clean air stop giving pollution credits to big industry and stop screwing the little guy. Sorry to rant! puke.gif

Here is a link for some more detailed info cuss.gif

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/brochures/Overview_copy.htm

www.airchecktexas.com.

If you really want clean air stop giving pollution credits to big industry and stop screwing the little guy.
While I tend to agree in priciple to your argument, keep in mind (esp. here in CA where we have the only Extreme Non-Attainment Air Basin in the Country), when Large Sources are built they have to buy credits from other companies that have reduced their emissions. Anyway, my point being....just keep in mind that when you bash big industry, remember how it is that you can switch on your lights, pump your gas, cook your food and buy the products you want. Trust me, and I'm sure others can back this up, the amount of time and money that industry spends ensuring compliance with air regulations (Federal and Local) would boggle your mind!!

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Tim

You need to come to Houston and you will see the problem first hand.. Every time it rains the chemical companies put more crap into the air than you can beleive. When it all dries out they are still pumping crap into the air... And now they have lowered the speed limit to 55 in order to reduce polution !!! how stupid can we get, We need Bush back he had some common sense......

I'm not bashing big industry here Tim I just want them to start doing their part of cleaning the air instead of making it look good on paper.

I could do the same thing to my car by getting a sticker for the legal one, removing and sticking it on another car that never passed and just get another sticker for the legal one. The point was our cars are cleaner now than they were ten years ago. The average age of a car here in Dallas anyway is 6-7 years old. The air is getting cleaner not because of TESTING but because of technology. The bigger companies are not doing their fare share. They buy credits which would be cheaper than upgrading emmissions they put out. The sources that are contributing to pollution now in the DFW area are 3 airports and a power plant in the south that blows pollution north to us every summer. And as far everything we buy costing more, buy less. I lived overseas before where they had draconian rules and we never rolled over. And guess what? They tried to stick it to us by making the consumer pay for it, but we managed to get around it and they later realized they were losing money and suprise the price went down. I totally agree with you about Federal and local regulations boggling the mind bonk.gif I just dont want them boggling my wallet. cheers.gif