HybridZ

Towing an automatic Z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, I think I've found a '77 280Z that I'm going to buy for an SBC swap. :D It's about 150 miles away though. What would be the best way to tow it home? (I have a jeep cherokee that I can tow with)

Can I flat-tow it with a tow bar, assuming one is available?

Where can I get a tow-bar?

Is it ok put the auto tranny in neutral for towing that far?

Thanks!

Guest Aaron

I have been told by a couple mechanics that you will burn up an automatic if you tow it. If you plan on using the transmission or selling it, you want to put the car on a trailer. If not, grab that tow bar, stick it in neutral, and go.

Guest Anonymous

I don't plan on using it long-term, but I will probably need to having it running to I can get it inspected once before starting an engine swap.

How hard (time and tool wise) is it to disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff?

henry

Hi,

You can use a tow dolly and put the front wheels on the ground towing it backwards. I did this with a 280ZX from L.A. to Dallas. Or if you want to tow bar it just disconnect the drive shaft instead of putting the strain on the tranny and you can resell the tranny for some beer money. cheers.gif good luck

You need a long combination 13mm (or is it 12mm or is it 14mm) wrench and a big screwdriver to disconnect the driveshaft. You will also need to wire it up well so it doesn't slip out of the transmission and leave a trail of fluid down the highway.

Its a little akward getting the wrench in place to remove the nuts but it can be done. Use the box end backwards. Shove the screwdriver in the u-joints to keep the shaft from turning.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just take an assortment of metrics with me and disco the driveshaft for the trip home.

Any hints on getting a tow bar fitted up?

Henry

• 6 years later...