HybridZ

rusty fuel tank 78 280Z, can it be sealed?

Guest heinera

Guest heinera

I know many people have had the problem of rusty fuel tanks. The solution for most has been clean/dissolve the rust (with acid, toilet cleaner, or machine shop hot tank), then seal the tank with gas tank sealer.

I have read through previous posts on the topic, and am unsure if it is a good idea for my 78 gas tank to be sealed. The reason I wonder is that looking inside there are return and pickup tubes that extend into the tank and end up near the bottom behind some sort of baffle. I noticed this while peeking through the filler hole, while shining a light into the fuel sender hole.

I wonder if the sealer will block, partially block, or significantly restrict the fuel flow through the return, and pickup tubes inside the gas tank.

Perhaps I should just clean the rust and let it be. weird.gif

Thanks for the replies...

If you take it to your local Gas Tank Renu dealer http://www.gastankrenu.com/welcome.htm he will actually blast & boil the tank, cut open the top, cover up the inlets/outlets, weld up any major holes, PVC plastic coat the whole inside and bake it in an oven. Then he will weld up the openings that he cut in the top and coat the whole outside with black PVC and bake again.

Whole thing cost me $125 and it's warranted for life. :eek:

Guest Anonymous

Most of the local radiator shops around here do it. They boil it over night in some caustic solution that dissolves rust and then they rinse it and dry it out and coat the inside. It's only $75.00 to a $100.00 here. I guess that's the benefit of living in GA.

Ah yes good ole Georgia Radiator shops. Beware of the workmanship at some of these places.

I took my tank out of my 1971 Ford F-100 a while back and took it to a local shop in Rome GA. to have this proceedure done.

They drilled a dime size hole in the top left side of the tank and then slaped some type of solder on it. Looked like $h!t! To top it off the thing started leaking the next day at the solder spot and had to be took back in to be re soldered with a full tank of gas! I asked the guy why he drilled a hole in my tank when there were numerous other holes already in there, vent line holes, sending unit hole, filler neck etc... He said they had to have somewhere to dump the tank liner out of the tank bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

That's a shame my local radiator shop is excellent and they don't sell people what they don't need and they definitely know what they are doing. I installed a late model fuel injected 5.0 motor and 4 speed AOD and had them install the entire in-tank sump and baffels and fuel pump from a late model Mustang GT into a 1968 Cougar stock tank. They cut that tank into several pieces and put it all back together and no leaks. That's to bad about what happened to your tank. Did you ask them to replace it?

Nope the tank is still there in my truck behind the seat no less. Yep it is a shame that there are places like that shop out there ripping people off. I went there on the advise of a friend who said it was a "good place" to do that kinda work. The only thing is they will never get any of my business again, radiator or gas tank service. You live and learn I guess.

I think that I will try to do my 280 tank myself. In the "How to Restore Your Datsun Z car" book by Wick Humble he shows how to do it. This may be the route I take.