HybridZ

My first "legal" Drive in the Z

jakeoster

Well finally got insurance on the Z and got the tags after a major hassle with the DMV. Well lets see where to begin, I have no turn signals, no headlights, a fuel gauge that doesnt work for some reason today, a radiator pulled out of a SOHC 4 cylinder Datsun at the junk yard, no coolant catch can, a small single fan that is zip tied on to said radiator, doors that cannot be locked/unlocked from the inside, no interior panels what so ever, an overloaded relay system, a temp gauge that doesnt read right, a non working tach, a speedo and tach that fall out because they arnt mounted, just so happend to be a 105 degrees today, sounds like a recipe for disaster right? Well, I couldnt help myself but to do it. I pull out of town without a hitch and get on the freeway. Boy do I sure feel cool driving my Z down the freeway for the first time. Well just as I begin to give it the beans my eye creeps on over to that temp gauage of mine, and to my surprise it is half way!!! After some testing when I first got it running I determined that half way is about 250 degrees. So I pull over and it boils over. Dont I feel stupid right about now, I have no extra coolant and Im stuck about twenty miles from home in the middle of nowhere. Its blisteringly hot outside and I decided to sit and see how things play out for a while. After about an hour I call up my father who is on lunch and beg him to come give me a hand. Reluctantly he comes out and brings me some coolant. I fire it up and LIMP it home, probally was coasting at 50mph in the slow lane. I finally make it home and relized that mayyyyyyybeeee I need to fix a few things before I try that again:mrgreen: But I can assure you for those miles that it wasnt running too hot, it was running great:) Everything seems to be fine because I caught it in time and let it cool down right away. That is my first legal Z experience, hope you enjoyed reading haha.

It's a good feeling, but I'll say you've had better "first drive" luck than I have had with my Z31.

Two years in a row.

but anyway. speaking of "first drive" days. I just insured my Z31 an hour ago with the new VG33ET engine and I'm getting some tranmission fluid tonight as well (special order GL-4! NO ONE CARRIES THIS STUFF!).

I'll be driving her tonight too.

congrats! I know the feeling, and will have had it 3 times over tonight!

It's a good feeling, but I'll say you've had better "first drive" luck than I have had with my Z31.

Two years in a row.

but anyway. speaking of "first drive" days. I just insured my Z31 an hour ago with the new VG33ET engine and I'm getting some tranmission fluid tonight as well (special order GL-4! NO ONE CARRIES THIS STUFF!).

I'll be driving her tonight too.

congrats! I know the feeling, and will have had it 3 times over tonight!

You have no idea how pissed off I've been at every local parts store. i can't find ANY GL-4 trans fluid. I can find cheap crap gl-4/gl-5 stuff, but I really don't trust it.

so now i have to go online to order redline MTL

Looks like your first drive was a lot better than mine haha.

My first drive was the drive bringing it home. and I had to limp it home (with the P/O behind me) at something like 25mph because it hardly ran worth crap. (found out the reason, kinked fuel line)

Drove the car to work today and around the city to give it a car wash, high-way car-drying run, bank deposit (FAIL, out of service!) and some food.

annnnnnnd then a nice cigar for my efforts.

The GL4 I put in worked great. It was bone dry when I checked the fill hole. I put 1.4 or so litres in there, and it was dryyyyyyyyyyyy.

So I filled it until the fill plug leaked, and then I lowered the car so that it would level out, then raised it and plugged it.

2nd gear is still a little crunchy, I think a new trans is in order in a couple of months. Gotta save money though, so I'll wait till this trans goes kaboom.

As for the GL-4 oil, You can get AMSOIL "Synthetic Manual Tranmission Lubricant 75W90 API GL-4" from an amsoil distributor. Just make it explicitly clear that you need the bottle with the RED LABEL that says GL-4 on the front, in big yellow letters.

NOT their 75W90 "GEAR LUBE".

cost is about 15 bucks a bottle. get 3.

Oh yeah hey guys what do you think of this Radiator and fan set up from Summit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-CSUM3804/

The dimensions are spot on and a good friend of mine is good with a Tig welder. So hes going to chop off the outlet, patch it, and move it over so that its under the inlet. From the looks of it Id say it should be enough to do the job.