HybridZ

JTR + LT headers?

Hi everybody! I've been reading/searching info from this forum for a while now while I'm workin on a 280Z/LT-1 swap with my dad. I keep searching for some kind of indication that someone has run a longtube setup on a V8 conversion 280Z, and I can't seem to find anything conclusive for LT-1 engines. We got the engine/trans in the car, so it's crunch time for all the other bits we gotta get on the car to get it running.

I was looking at the long tube headers for a V8 conversion on the zcarparts.com store: (http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC01/10-1832)

and wondered if anybody had gotten them to fit on a similar conversion, or any kind of Long Tube setup for that matter. I have a 1977 280Z, LT-1, T56, JTR mounting kit.

Has anybody run a longtube header AT ALL with the JTR kit? Thanks.

There was some talk years ago about using either Patriot or S&S long tubes with JTR mounts but I don't remember whether anyone actually made them work.

The headers you linked to will work with the MSA V8 mounts but I believe will be very low with JTR mounts and may not clear the frame rail or the steering shaft.

As for the LT-1 specifically, it's essentially an SBC with some enhancements like reverse cooling and a very good EFI system. Pretty much any header that will fit a standard SBC will fit an LT-1 with the provision that depending on the donor car the engine came from the heads will be either angle plug or straight plug which will effect which headers you can use.