HybridZ

century welders

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest Anonymous

Man, 26ga. is pretty thin, we used to have to occassionally weld some locks tabs on the side of some cheap metal 24ga. residential doors and that was pretty thin, even with a big commercial welder that was infinitely adjustable it was REAL easy to put a hole in. (anyone know what gauge Datsun body panels are? 22-24 ga.?)

Anyway, consider parts availability as well, comsumables like welding tips and gas cones, do you have to mail order them or can you get them local? Thats another issue you may wish to think about when purchasing a welder. Just an opinion, I'm sure the century is probably fine, I'm using a lincoln that I still need to add the gas kit to, that would make things look much sweeter when doing a rollcage to have nice clean welds instead of pigeon splatter. :D

Regards and good luck,

Lone

Guest 400 ci 280z

the place i was at had a lot of stuff for welders and a good portion of that had century labels on them. the body is 22 gauge because when i cut a hole in it and put a piece of 22 gauge next to it it was even on both sides.

Guest 400 ci 280z

are they a good welder? i can get a mig that welds 26 gauge for $330 and just have to get gas after that. i am wanting to get a good welder but dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it. i was also thinking about getting the lincoln pro-mig 135 welder at lowe's for $430 until i saw the century. anyone use the century welders?

chris

Guest Anonymous

Make sure that model of Century Welder you want to buy has seperate rheostat controls for welding heat and wire feed speed..........................

I have a century welder I bought close out at Sams club. Good welder, no complaints. They are also very common so repair parts should not be an issue. Every one from Sears to Home Depot sells them.

Make sure you get the gas kit. Without the gas you need to run flux core wire which is more expensive than plain wire. Smokes like hell and splatters more also. Also make sure you get adequate amperage in case you want to weld anything heavy. Usually welders that go to very thing gages don't have as many amps.