HybridZ

question on v8 sources

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

what is the best source for a v8 with $ and performance as a consideration? buying a new performance engine for a few thousand or buying an old camaro with a 350 and work on the engine with the car? i know this may seem like a stupid question but im new to this and i was thinking the camaro route.

You can really do either one; it just depends on your budget and what works for you. The JTR book recommends buying a complete car and making sure the engine & tranny work--but that's not always possible!

To put it another way, there are two main things you'll need for the swap: the engine and the tranny. What you want the car to do (its use) and your budget determine what you'll buy.

You can get great FI V8's like LT1s & the accompanying tranny at a good GM wrecking yard--are you comfortable with FI? If not, you can get GM factory crate motors for pretty good $$$$--just look in any major American performance automotive publication and you'll see all kinds of dealers around the US selling them.

Keep doing research on the subject before you make a definite decision, and use the search function in this forum!!!

Best of luck!

Davy

To me it matters as to the year of car you'er working with. 73 and older need not pass emission test and you can use any motor you like. 74 and older, at less in Texas have to pass emission test. This being the case, I think it's best to buy a car with the motor/trany combo you want and get all the emission equipment you'll need to make the car pass inspection. icon_wink.gif