HybridZ

Ig sw replacement. Tips?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Jeff, I got the switch today in the mail (nice... it'll be so nice compared to that screwed up POS thats in there) and I opened and saw the screws your talking about, its like a hex head deal that is designed to break off when its tight and leave that flat head your talking about. Thanks on the drilling idea, be easiest since it doesn't need to go back on ever (and after I slam it in the ground a couple dozen times it couldn't anyway).

Thanks and regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I have ordered a new ignition switch/lock/key assembly as mine was badly worn out. Are there any tips before I take a stab and then lose my mind in anger over something stupid I hadn't expected. So, any tips, is this a one or two six pack job? :D

cheers.gif ,

Lone

Guest jcp240z

The easiest way is to use a cutting wheel on a dremel and put a slot in both heads. Then you can use a standard screwdriver and just unscrew them.

The surrounding metal will be notched also. No bid deal, especially since you have new ones.

Once you have removed the plastic steering column cover you can get to it fairly easy. There are four screws that hold the switch to the column, it clamps around the column. The trick is that two of screw heads are smooth, no slot for a screwdriver. These must be drilled out very carefully, just go slow. Once you have the switch in hand the remainder of the screw comes out easily. Hope I haven't confused you, but you'll see what I mean when you get into it. Best of luck.