HybridZ

Choosing the right intake manifold

josephg

I have incredibly bad luck when it comes to getting the right parts on the first try. It is time to either get a new carburetor or rebuild the one I have I want to upgrade to a four barrel but that means I have to get a new manifold too. I found a combo kit that should fit my 87 ford truck 302 block at summit but I cant be sure what heads I have and I don't even know if that matters. Everything looks good to me but I don't want get stuck with $400 in parts that don't fit. Any input would be great.

According to the numbers on the block I have a 87 ford truck 302.

The carburetor currently on the motor is a two barrel with electronic choke

here is the link for the kit I am want to buy

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0202/

• 1 month later...

I know this is probably late but you shouldnt buy a carb that big. A stock 302 should use a 500 cfm carb if not smaller. You should get one of 4 manifolds:

Edelbrock Performer

Edelbrock Performer RPM

Weiand Stealth

Weiand X-CELerator

And get a Edelbrock 1403 carb.

Well I am sure that is good advice but you are right about it being late. I got the carborater intake Combo I listed above. And it seems to be running well ( aside from over heating which it did before the new carb). I know summit brand parts don't weild the fancy name like edlerock but they always work well for me. A just picked up a 302 ho from a machine shop (I got a deal cuz who ever dropped the motor off for a rebuild never came back for it). We will see how eveything goes once I get it in.

Its not that the combo package wont work, its just not the best choice. Most 302 engines are using a 600 cfm or bigger. And this way when you want to upgrade your heads you will have the fuel to support them. I would track down a set of GT40 heads, you can find them for around 500 bucks rebuilt. They would work well with your carb and intake.