HybridZ

Exhaust. Trouble. Landlord...Solution?

GrenadeZ

Guys, this will be part rant. Part inquiry. part show and tell I suppose.

I have had my z at my new apartment for a week and Im already in trouble and need to "tone my muffler down" as my landlord has put it.

I want a new exhaust anyways and I also want it angled like big phils and etc so that exhaust fumes no longer ruin my musk lol or make me cry by the time I reach my destination.

Anyone hear running a quiet performance exhaust on their L based datsun. I posted this in the L forum so it was also open to the s130 guys also :mrgreen:

Youtube features mostly loud angry exhausts like mine (po used straight 2.5 into a small resonator):fmad: and the majority of the custom exhausts I found in search didnt have much on the varaible im seeking which unfortunately is quiet...

Post away, clips if you have them. Lets see your quiet (yet good sounding) L exhaust. Im open for anything at this point.

Mine had a 3" straight pipe, and it was too loud for me. So I went to a muffler shop and had a "turbo" muffler installed. Installed just said it's a turbo muffler, and I don't know if it's a maker name or model of the muffler. but it's so quiet on cruise that I could hear my turbo spooling.

I run 2.5" s/s mandrel with a 12" resonator and 14" straight-thru muffler both from Magnaflow. My 2.4 liter has a Crane mild street cam. The sound is very quiet. Much more than I expected. I even placed a 7" s/s sleeve inside the resonator to trying to get a bit more sound. One thing to watch closely is the ID of the resonator and muffler. Most cheaper units are necked down internally. Someone mentioned it already but the resonator is your best bang for the buck to reduce the db level.

Ive got almost the same set-up as ezzzzzzz. excapt Im running an 18" glaspack for a resonator, but have the 2.5" magnaflow straight through and 2.5" mandrel bends on my 280ZX. Its an L28 with 11.5:1 compression, a 260Z 256* cam and some mild head work and a 60mm TB. quiet for cruising, will set off car alarms when I open it up. sounds nice and low too, not all fart-cann-y.

I run 2.5" s/s mandrel with a 12" resonator and 14" straight-thru muffler both from Magnaflow.

This.

I did have 2 hot-dogs resonators but i took one out to make it louder :icon56:

With 2, or one large one, the car is very streetable and doesn't annoy anyone albeit it a little boring for the driver :P. With 1 it makes a real nice bark.

As others have said, make sure you get mufflers and resonators that don't neck down inside. I used to have one like that before my current setup and it melted.....

Magnaflow is one down from the best available here in AUS and about half the price of the next up. It's all Stainless Steel with fiberglass packing and can cop a HUGE punch before breaking down. I've had the current zorst for 5000k's at 4000rpm+ on the track and it still sounds and looks like new.

WARNING. The glass packing wears in and WILL be louder after settling than when you drive it out of the shop :)

I would run 2.5" with a baffled (Turbo) muffler in the back and then an additional straight thru "resonator" in the middle as most have said. You can get mufflers that are not glass packs, but SS and last a very long time. If you are N/A the only real way to keep it quiet is to have a baffled muffler.

I have to ask though...why not just be easy on it when you are coming and going. I run straight thru mufflers on my 3.5 and she is really quiet at idle but screams when I put my foot down.

Oh and you have one last option...put a turbo on it....they are great mufflers, especially the tiny stock t3's.