HybridZ

My crappy wiring harness...HELP!!!

alsil

I am TOTALLY confused on how the early 240's are wired. Here's my situation:

Most of the time I hit the brakes, the stereo would turn off. So I checked the fuse box, and the brake lights were pulling volts from the COMMON fuse weird.gif , so I fixed it and put it through the STOP fuse. Did the same thing.

so I thought there might be a short in the line to the lights, so I replaced the wire. Nope.

so I bypassed the fuse box and hooked up the other side of the brake switch to the battery - same thing.

When I turn the lights on, the volts drop a lot. If I turn on the lights when the stereo is on, the stereo goes off for a second. If I turn on the wipers, it goes off. If I turn on the fan, same thing.

What do they all have in common? 2 wires, White-Red and White, both from the positive terminal ont he starter solenoid, where the battery cable attaches.

So I thought yesterday, maybe it's the lead wires, and there's a burnt section. so I tested to with another wire. It was a little better, but not much. stereo still turns off.

So I was looking in my Haynes manual at the wiring diagram. the white-red and the white connect at the amp gauge. well, I disconnected this because I have a volt gauge now, and just taped off the ends.

Do these 2 have to be connected? It was fine until I started getting the other things in (like the wipers, stereo, fan, etc...) now it seems to be a major problem. Does anyone know if they are supposed to stay connected?

Please let me know, The car's running great but this has got me scared to drive it to the MSA show. I don't need another problem to stop me going to another show twak.gifmalebitchslap.gifb_hand.gif !!!!

Thanks

Al

Already did that twice. This even dims the headlights when I hit the brakes. The gauges bounce. I am thinking about replacing both my main feeds in the car. There must be a short or something somewhere.

The circuit that gets turned off is the switch voltage. The same one the wipers and fan run on, which is why it turns off when I have those on too. Seems like the flow of electrons is getting disturbed by the brake switch (which is why I tried there first), lihe it draws all the flow away from everything else, like a short.

I think I may just deal with it until after MSA and just put in the Painless Harness next week or so.

Thanks

AL

Actually, maybe I'll swap the voltage through to the AIR CON fuse and see what happens. I don't have air con, so it might work. Does the fan work off that though.........

Guess I'll find out......

Thanks for all the suggestions.....

yea, i tried that, replaced the wire that goes from the brake light switch to the lights - same thing. Maybe one of those light sockets is corroded....I'll check that, but I doubt it would cause this problem, but YOU NEVER KNOW with this car! :confused:

Thanks

AL

Guest scca

sounds like bad grounds...

check the one wire that is to the left of the heater controls as well as any ground near the fuse box

Ok, I'll try that.

I checked the wires on the voltmeter, and they are both 12v. Wasn't that just to measure amps going back and forth? Anyway, I'll try that out and let you guys know.

Thanks!

Al rockon.gif