HybridZ

Filler rod and magnatisim?

SATAN

Just curious as to if when welding mild steel with your TIG welders, your filler rod likes to stick to the base metal right as you go to dip it.

When welding, I will go to dip my rod, and then all of a sudden, the rod seems to spring toward the base metal, like a magnet is pulling it. I understand that when you put that much juice through metal, that something like that can happen. I was just wondering if it happens to you guys. It is pretty annoying and sometimes it messes up my nice bead. Do you guys have a solution for this? Sometimes I find myself sliding the filler rod on the base metal and then into the puddle. This keeps the rod under more control as it is already stuck/magnetized to the base metal.

Just curious as to if when welding mild steel with your TIG welders, your filler rod likes to stick to the base metal right as you go to dip it.

When welding, I will go to dip my rod, and then all of a sudden, the rod seems to spring toward the base metal, like a magnet is pulling it. I understand that when you put that much juice through metal, that something like that can happen. I was just wondering if it happens to you guys. It is pretty annoying and sometimes it messes up my nice bead. Do you guys have a solution for this? Sometimes I find myself sliding the filler rod on the base metal and then into the puddle. This keeps the rod under more control as it is already stuck/magnetized to the base metal.

I do the same sliding motion with most of my metals. Especially aluminum as I usually use a very thin rod that moves around too much if I do not keep it on the metal. Never had an issue with magnetics though.

I do the same sliding motion with most of my metals. Especially aluminum as I usually use a very thin rod that moves around too much if I do not keep it on the metal. Never had an issue with magnetics though.

Its fine with aluminum and with stainless. It is just with mild steel. I will go to dip the rod, and right as I get close to the puddle, it will pull to one or the other pieces of base metal, just like a magnet. Not a heavy magnet, but enough to pull my rod.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something along these lines.

Bang the rods on something hard a few times, that usually helps to reduce any magnetism built up in the metal rods. Where are you storing the rods? Anywhere near a magnet?

Thanks, I'll try that.

Nope, just storing them against a brick wall. Unless it's a magnetic brick wall...:willy_nil