HybridZ

Considering old datsun roadster, maybe electric

Iceman

I've been considering getting an old datsun roadster as a commuter. (Still keeping my Z). I think a nice DOHC 4 would be a nice package for good mileage and plenty of guts for a bit of fun. An electric conversion would be pretty cool too. So I have a couple questions..

• How hard are they to find?
    What kind of condition would I expect to find one in?
    How much should I be expecting to spend?
    Anyone have one?
    Any general comments on the roadster? (i.e. dont get one because ___)
    Anyone seen one converted to electric?

its not a roadster but its Electric just thought i would show ya the link.

http://www.evalbum.com/1436

The link has a lot of information like cost of conversion and etc. Thought it might be helpful. Good luck! and as for pricing for the Roadster just look around on craigslist here in denver i have seen them from $1500 to $2000 or more.

Here is a link to the guys business he is based in Northridge CA He does EV conversions if your interested.

http://www.operationz.biz/

For all the time you spend making this post you could easily answered most of your questions.. How hard are they to find? Have you looked? That might answer your question. How much will you spend? Ever heard of craigslist, ebay, or for sale sections in forums? What condition will they be in? How do you answer that? Rusted, original, clean, pristine, junk...

I vote tool shed.

For all the time you spend making this post you could easily answered most of your questions.. How hard are they to find? Have you looked? That might answer your question. How much will you spend? Ever heard of craigslist, ebay, or for sale sections in forums? What condition will they be in? How do you answer that? Rusted, original, clean, pristine, junk...

I vote tool shed.

You often dont get a very accurate representation of the condition of rare cars and how you normally find them in the real world when you go to craigslist, ebay, etc. I've checked a few times on ebay (no, I didnt search at the time I started this thread) and have normally seen just fully restored ones. I was hoping people might chime in on ones they have actually seen around. I guess I should have put more emphasis on what people's opinions and feedback on the model as that was more of what I was intending to ask.

Thanks. I'll admit I didnt check craigslits because I am leary about purchasing anything from there, but I could have looked for examples of price and condition. Hey, wonder if that first guy will trade for my CRX :D

Do you have any opinions about the roadsters?

What do I get for all the time I wasted reading your reponse.

We all know there is a search but if it bothers you to answer then save yourself and dont. We come here to find answers and we all ask because someone has been there and done that. Thats what the forum is for. At some point you were a noob too. Why do people forget that.

=Challenger;1071559]For all the time you spend making this post you could easily answered most of your questions.. How hard are they to find? Have you looked? That might answer your question. How much will you spend? Ever heard of craigslist, ebay, or for sale sections in forums? What condn will they be in? How do you answer that? Rusted, original, clean, pristine, junk...

Thanks. I'll admit I didnt check craigslits because I am leary about purchasing anything from there, but I could have looked for examples of price and condition. Hey, wonder if that first guy will trade for my CRX :D

Do you have any opinions about the roadsters?

Hey we live and we learn, uh I don't really know anything about the roadsters i know they come a dime a dozen around here were atleast a few cheap ones and just mostly rolling chassis. Just like any other car just look for no rust good frame look up parts costs and stuff like that. An electric vehicle could be nice but depends on how much you drive and what your willing to spend on building the conversion.

Oh and craigslist can be a great resource just make sure if your considering anything from there that you call and go look and see the shape of the item. I have had a lot of great deals on craigslist like I traded my Konig Rewinds for a Clifford intake with a Two barrel Race Carb and a 6-3-1 Header!

What do I get for all the time I wasted reading your reponse.

We all know there is a search but if it bothers you to answer then save yourself and dont. We come here to find answers and we all ask because someone has been there and done that. Thats what the forum is for. At some point you were a noob too. Why do people forget that.

Most of the questions he asked were not "been there done that." (Unless you mean this forum is dedicated to teaching people where to buy a Datsun and what condition Datsuns are in...) They were I am to lazy to find anything myself.

If he wants to ask about his electric motor goals, go for it, since HybridZ is dedicated to increasing the performance of Datsuns. Not what I mentioned earlier.

How hard are they to find?

Unanswerable. Where? When?

What kind of condition would I expect to find one in?

Unanswerable, or all conditions?

How much should I be expecting to spend?

Unanswerable. What condition?

Anyone have one?

Yes.

Anyone seen one converted to electric?

This is searchable but a worthy question which Id answer. Google electric Datsun Roadster or find a Roadster specific forum.

Yeah, I commute 80 miles each day and there are charging stations close to each end.

An electric vehicle could be nice but depends on how much you drive and what your willing to spend on building the conversion.

They were I am to lazy to find anything myself..

You've successfully increased your thread-count and your point is noted.

I asked because you only get a few examples on ebay, etc. I asked because there's a lot of room for "around here they are easy to find and go for..." and "i normally see.."

FYI, I just checked eBay and found 1 for $7800.. I doubt that is indicative of general price.:icon56:

Yeah, I commute 80 miles each day and there are charging stations close to each end.

Hmm 80 miles might be stretching it in a EV it all depends on what you do for batteries cheapo batteries would get you about 40-50 miles one way. Maybe EV might not be the way to go

Guest Rolling Parts

40 + 40 miles a day might be a stretch, especially in the Fall where you're running headlights. It rates a 9.0 on the quirky meter so it might be fun just to give it a try.

Now a small displacement 4cyl turbo engine in a roadster also has it's fun points!