HybridZ

Upgrading alternator (or achieving more ampage somehow)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all, I'm having some problems with my amp meter dipping below half way in my '74 260z.. If I turn off my H4s and the stereo its fine.. but obviously it doesn't like heavy loads of power usage (the stereo runs with a capacitator, but still..

so anwyays, wondering if there were any ways to increase the power output of the alternator (maybe putting in one from a 280zx?) or anything else you might know!

thanks a lot in advance

also - for anybody in aus - my other 260z is for sale - you can see the ad for it here - 260z for sale

Guest Anonymous

Simplest solution is to do what the V8 Z guys do (and many L6 people as well) put in a 105 amp GM one wire alternator. It does away with your regulator as it has one internally and has just one wire going to your battery (or hooked up to the wire that goes to the fuse panel on the Z). You'll have to fabricate a bracket (someone makes the bracket on one of the Z sites) and you'll be liking it alot guaranteed.

*Note, one wire alternators require the RPM to be raised ONE time after it starts to between 1500-2000 rpms, after that they sense the continue to charge even at lower RPM's. This isn't a issue because who doesn't rev they're Z above 2K rpms? :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest bang847

i think almost any alternator of a L block should be good.. I pulled a LR170 off of a 84 maxima? anyways the zx alternators are good too but the maxima is so much easier to find.. works great for me.. no more regulator too!

http://zcarcreations.com/howto/voltreg.htm

looks like you can get a alternator off of a 85 maxima and get 80 amps! sweet deal... also dont look only in the junk yard.. check out you local parts store too... i found out later that a rebuilt lifetime warranty 70amp maxima alternator was only 45+ core charge... JY was $25

it is easy and mantenince free! convert the wiring and the pulley doesent require change. easy+cheap

Guest Anonymous

cheers guys! exactly what i needed to hear!

I think i'll go the maxima route, as there are plenty of them here in aus!

cheers!

I have a 90 amp maxima alternator on my ZX. It is an 87 alternator, and I had to get a pulley off an 84 I think. I took it down to an alternator shop in Bham and swapped them my serpentine pulley for a v.

I made a little adapter pigtail to wire the thing up, and went to town. I don't have to do the over 2000 rpm thing, my lights are brighter, and my car runs better.

The maxima alt is a straight bolt on, nad the cooling fan on the inside. Picked it up at advance with lifetime warranty for 80 bucks or something. They worked with me a cored my 83.

You would have to get it wired up since you have an external regulator.

Good luck.

Guest bang847

wow all maxima's are VG30?? that must be alot newer... I talking about the 79-84 maximas... perhaps it is called a nissan 810 there or a bluebird... also didnt the old skylines use a l28 block? thise probably will have a good alternator for ya...

All maixma's after 83 are Vg motors, but the first ones had v belts for some of the stuff. Later as they added more luxury items, the need for more juice arrived, so the alternators were upgraded. If you have a friendly parts person, they should be able to run down the ratings for you and tell you specifically what alternator does what. I compared several.

Changing the pulley is not a big deal, Advance did it for me. What is nice about the maxima is it bolts in with the same brakets. Mine rocks like no tomorrow.

Guest bang847

well i think the 84's still had a l24.. i actually drive one.. its a battleship!

the 85's started the modern maximas with a V config...

Well that would be a new one on me Bang. I thought they changed the body style after 83 just like they did with the ZX. Could have been some runover though.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I got the V pulley off an 84 Maxima Alt. At least that is what the guy said it was at the shop.